paneer pav bhaji recipe with step by step photos. paneer pav bhaji is a variation of pav bhaji. there are some variations of pav bhaji which you will get in mumbai and paneer pav bhaji is one of them.
many roadside stalls and almost all the udipi restaurants in mumbai offer pav bhaji and its variations on their menu.
this is a list of the variations of pav bhaji:
- jain pav bhaji – made without onions, garlic and potatoes. raw banana is used here instead of potatoes
- no onion no garlic pav bhaji – made without onions and garlic.
- cheese pav bhaji – served with a very generous topping of grated cheese.
- paneer pav bhaji -made with paneer and also topped with grated paneer.
- kada pav bhaji – where the vegetables are not mashed but cooked with their size and shape intact. so this dish has a bite and lots of textures in it.
- masala pav – the pav is pan fried with butter and then stuffed with the pav bhaji along with a generous helping of buttered and sauted onions, tomatoes, green chillies, coriander leaves and spices.
i like both paneer and cheese pav bhaji. cheese pav bhaji would be my favorite version of pav bhaji. the pav bhaji can be had as a meal during lunch or dinner. you could also have it as an evening snack.
the method to make paneer pav bhaji is similar to making the regular pav bhaji and you just have to add grated paneer in the bhaji. i usually grate the paneer and add, since we like a smooth texture in the pav bhaji. however if you want texture and bite, you can add paneer cubes. you can also check pav bhaji masala recipe.
paneer pav bhaji recipe card below:
Paneer Pav Bhaji Recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR Paneer Pav Bhaji Recipe
- 1 to 1.5 cups grated paneer or small paneer cubes (cottage cheese)
- 2 medium size potatoes (aloo)
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower (phool gobi)
- 1 cup chopped carrot (gajar)
- 1 cup peas (matar), fresh or frozen
- ½ cup french beans, chopped - (optional)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 small or medium sized capsicum (green bell pepper or shimla mirch)
- 2 to 3 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch), chopped
- 1 or 2 tablespoon pav bhaji masala
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder or freshly pounded 1-2 dry deseeded red chilies – the latter works much better and imparts a beautiful orange color to the bhaji
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 12 pavs
- 3 tablespoon amul butter or add as much you want or white butter or oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoon grated or shredded paneer for garnish
- salt as required
- 1.5 cups water or add as required
HOW TO MAKE Paneer Pav Bhaji Recipe
making paneer pav bhaji:
- boil all the vegetables except onions, tomatoes and capsicum in a pressure cooker or microwave oven.
- mash the vegetables and keep aside.
- just lightly mash. don’t make a puree.
- alternatively, you can also mash when making the pav bhaji.
- in a frying pan or kadai or a large tava/griddle, add butter.
- when the butter melts, add cumin seeds. when they sizzle, add the chopped onions.
- fry the onions till they become transparent. now add the ginger-garlic paste.
- fry till the raw smell of the ginger-garlic paste disappears.
- add chopped green chilies and fry for a minute.
- add the tomatoes and fry them till they become soft and mushy.
- add the chopped capsicum. now add the chilli powder, turmeric powder and pav bhaji masala.
- mix the dry masalas well. fry for few minutes till the capsicum become a little soft.
- you don’t need to make the capsicum very soft. a little crunch is alright.
- now add the mashed vegetables.
- combine the mashed vegetables well with the masala.
- add some water. keep on stirring and let the vegetable simmer for 7 to 8 minutes.
- towards the end add the grated or cubed paneer and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- if the vegetable becomes too dry and then add some more water.
serving paneer pav bhaji:
- when done, garnish with coriander leaves and grated paneer in individual serving bowls or plates.
- serve the bhaji hot with chopped onions and chopped lime.
- while serving, add amul butter to the bhaji and serve with buttered pavs or bread.
- you can add more butter, if you like it. in fact, with more butter, the pav bhaji tastes very good.
- you can also make the bhaji first and then reheat it when serving.
to make buttered pavs:
- slice the pavs .
- on a flat pan, heat some butter.
- when the butter melts, keep the pavs on the melted butter so that it absorbs the butter and fry for a minute.
- if you want to make the pav crisp, fry for a few more minutes. serve the pavs hot with the bhaji.
- the spice powders can be easily adjusted to suit your taste.
- if you don’t want to add butter, then you can also make the pav bhaji in oil.
- if you don’t have pav bhaji masala, then add garam masala. i have made pav bhaji with garam masala only and nobody could tell the difference. in this scenario, just add some dry mango powder/amchur to the pav bhaji to get that slightly sour taste.
quantity is 1 or 2 tsp garam masala with 1 tsp amchur/dry mango powder. if you are adding this than don’t add the ½ tsp garam masala mentioned above. that is only meant if you are using pav bhaji masala.
how to make paneer pav bhaji recipe:
1. firstly chop all the veggies and keep them ready. you can either rinse or chop them or rinse after chopping them.
2. rinse the veggies and drain the water.
3. boil 2 medium sized potatoes, 1 cup chopped carrot, 1 cup green peas (matar) and 1 cup chopped cauliflower in a pressure cooker.
4. add water to the veggies just covering them.
5. sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt or as required.
6. pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles or 10 to 11 minutes or till the veggies are cooked.
7. strain the veggies and keep the broth or stock aside.
8. mash the vegetables with the masher and keep aside.
9. just lightly mash. don’t make a puree. alternatively, you can also mash when making the pav bhaji.
10. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making the paneer pav bhaji.
making paneer pav bhaji:
11. in a frying pan or kadai or a large tava/griddle, add 3 tablespoon butter/oil or add as required.
12. when the butter melts, add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera).
13. when the cumin seeds sizzle, add 1 large sized finely chopped onion.
14. fry the onions till they become transparent.
15. now add 2 to 3 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste.
16. fry till the raw smell of the ginger-garlic paste disappears.
17. add 1 to 2 green chilies (finely chopped).
18. fry for a minute.
19. add 2 to 3 large sized tomatoes (finely chopped).
20. saute them for 7 to 8 minutes or till they become soft and mushy.
21. add 1 small or medium sized capsicum (chopped).
22. add 1 to 2 tablespoon pav bhaji masala, 1 teaspoon red chili powder and 1 teaspoon turmeric powder.
23. mix the dry masalas well. fry for few minutes till the capsicum become a little soft.
24. you don’t need to make the capsicum very soft. a little crunch is alright.
25. now add the mashed vegetables.
26. combine the mashed vegetables well with the masala.
27. add 1.5 cups water or broth or as required.
28. also add salt as required.
29. keep on stirring and let the bhaji simmer for 7 to 8 minutes, till the gravy thickens a bit.
30. towards the end add 1 to 1.5 cups grated or cubed paneer.
31. stir well and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
32. lastly add ½ teaspoon garam masala powder, mix well. check the taste and adjust the spices and salt as per your taste. if the vegetable becomes too dry and then add some more water.
serving paneer pav bhaji:
33. when done, garnish with coriander leaves and grated paneer in individual serving bowls or plates.
34. serve the pav bhaji hot with chopped onions and chopped lime.
35. while serving, add amul butter to the bhaji and serve with buttered pavs. you can add more butter, if you like it. in fact, with more butter, the pav bhaji tastes very good. you can also make the bhaji first and then reheat it when serving.
preparing buttered pavs:
36. slice the pavs. on a flat pan, heat some butter.
37. when the butter melts, keep the pavs or breads on the melted butter so that it absorbs the butter and fry for a minute. if you want to make the pav crisp, fry for a few more minutes.
38. serve the pavs or breads hot with the bhaji.