khada pav bhaji recipe with step by step photos. khada pav bhaji is a variation of the popular mumbai pav bhaji and is also a served by the street food carts and outlets in mumbai.
basically in khada pav bhaji, the chopped and cooked vegetables are kept intact, whole and not mashed. thats it. the recipe for making khada pav bhaji, is same as the pav bhaji recipe.
i have had khada pav bhaji umpteen times in mumbai. since pav bhaji is a favorite dish, i do make it often. this time I decided to make khada pav bhaji, instead of mashed pav bhaji. if you have not tried kada pav bhaji, you must try it. i do like mashed pav bhaji but if you give me an option between mashed and kada pav bhaji, then i will go for the kada pav bhaji.
you might feel that it is more like eating a typically onion-tomato based mixed vegetable dish. but it is not. khada pav bhaji has the pav bhaji taste and feel to it.
something about adding onions to pav bhaji. i have made pav bhaji both with and without onions and i like the taste of both. recently, i came across pav bhaji recipes in two cookbooks. one cookbook uses onions and the other does not. you decide and choose as per your taste, if you want to add onions to the recipe or not.
in this kada pav bhaji recipe though, i have added onions. by the way, till now, i have always seen the pav bhaji wallahs in mumbai adding onions while making pav bhaji. and as a teen too when I used to make pav bhaji at home, I used to add onions to the recipe. by the way, i have shared one version of pav bhaji in which onions and garlic are not used. here is the link for this pav bhaji with no onion no garlic.
khada pav bhaji recipe card below:
khada pav bhaji recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR khada pav bhaji recipe (1 CUP = 250 ML)
- ½ to ¾ cup cauliflower florets (phool gobi)
- 2 to 3 small carrots - cubed
- ¼ cup french beans - chopped
- 2 medium potatoes - cubed
- ⅓ cup green peas (matar) - fresh or frozen
- 1 medium onion - finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes - finely chopped
- 1 green chili - finely chopped
- 1 medium sized capsicum, (bell pepper or shimla mirch) - finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger - use half of the ginger for making the ginger-garlic paste and half to be chopped
- 5 to 6 medium sized garlic cloves (lahsun) - chopped
- ½ to 1 tablespoon pav bhaji masala
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- a few sprigs of coriander leaves, for garnish
- chopped lemon to be served with pav bhaji
- 2 to 3 tablespoons butter or oil - preferably amul butter
- salt as required
- water as required
HOW TO MAKE khada pav bhaji recipe
- first take the chopped veggies, mainly: cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, peas and beans. keep these in a pan or cooker. now add water to the veggies just about covering them.
- pressure cook or boil the veggies till they are done. do not over cook the veggies. in the picture below, the veggies are cooked. strain the veggies and keep the broth or stock.
- in the meantime, when the vegetables are cooking, chop the onions, green chillies, ginger, tomatoes and capsicum.
- in the mortar and pestle crush the remaining half ginger and garlic cloves. you can keep it coarsely crushed or make a fine paste. you could also use ready ginger-garlic paste.
- in a kadai or a big tava heat up around 2 tablespoon oil or butter. add the onions and fry till they become transparent.
- add the chopped tomatoes, ginger, green chillies and capsicum. saute for 7 to 8 minutes stirring in between.
- now add the red chili powder and turmeric powder.
- mix the powders and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- add in the ginger garlic paste or crushed ginger garlic .
- mix it and saute for 2 minutes more.
- add 1 to 2 tablespoon butter to the masala.
- add the boiled vegetables.
- sprinkle the pav bhaji masala.
- add about 1 or 1.5 cups of broth or water or both broth+water. gently mix the entire mixture.
- simmer for 10 to 12 minutes on a low flame. keep checking the bhaji in between.
- now, add the garam masala powder and gently mix it with the rest of the bhaji.
- lastly, add chopped coriander leaves.
- your khada pav bhaji is ready now. slice the pavs and fry them on the tava or griddle with some butter. serve the khada pav bhaji topped with butter with the warm pavs, chopped onion and chopped lemon.
how to make khada pav bhaji recipe:
1. first take the chopped veggies, mainly: cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, peas and french beans. you can either rinse or chop them or rinse after chopping them.
2. keep the veggies in a pan or pressure cooker. now add water to the veggies just about covering them.
4. sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt or as required.
5. pressure cook or boil the veggies till they are done. do not over cook the veggies.
6. in the picture below, the veggies are cooked. strain the veggies and keep the broth or stock.
7. in the meantime, when the vegetables are cooking, chop the onions, green chillies, ginger, tomatoes and capsicum. half of the ginger is to be chopped and the remaining half to be made into a paste.
8. in the mortar and pestle crush the remaining half of the ginger and 5 to 6 medium sized garlic cloves. you can keep it coarsely crushed or make a fine paste. you could also use ready ginger-garlic paste.
9. in a kadai or a big tava heat around 2 tablespoons butter or oil.
10. add the onions and saute till they become translucent.
11. then add the chopped tomatoes.
12. also add the chopped ginger, green chilies and capsicum.
13. saute for 7 to 8 minutes stirring in between till the tomatoes soften and become mushy.
14. now add the red chili powder and turmeric powder.
15. mix the spice powders and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
16. add the ginger-garlic paste or crushed ginger-garlic.
17. mix it very well and saute for 2 minutes more.
18. add 1 to 2 tablespoon butter to the masala.
19. add the boiled vegetables.
20. stir and mix well.
21. sprinkle the pav bhaji masala.
22. add about 1 or 1.5 cups of stock or water or both stock+water.
23. gently mix the entire mixture.
24. simmer for 10 to 12 minutes on a low flame till the gravy thickens a bit.
25. keep checking the bhaji in between.
26. now, add the garam masala powder and gently mix it with the rest of the bhaji.
27. lastly, add chopped coriander leaves. check the taste and adjust spices and salt as per your taste. khada pav bhaji is ready now.
serve the khada pav bhaji topped with butter and with warm pavs, chopped onion and chopped lemon.