palak corn recipe with step by step photos – spinach and sweet corn is one of my favorite combination. the sweetness of the corn goes very well with the slight bland taste of spinach or palak.
i always end up adding these two in pasta, rice and in veggie bakes. this palak corn curry is a variation of the palak paneer, but more creamy as i have added ground melon seeds and cashews in the curry. there is also low fat cream in the recipe. you can skip the cream if you prefer.
the end result is a lightly spiced, smooth, creamy and nutritious curry. the recipe can also be made for kids who are usually not fond of spinach. instead of sweet corn, regular corn or even fresh green peas can be added.
this palak corn curry goes very well with naan, rotis or jeera rice.
few more tasty recipes for you!
INGREDIENTS FOR palak corn
main ingredients for palak corn
- 1 bunch spinach (palak) - yields approx 2 to 2.5 cups palak puree
- 4-5 cups water - for boiling the water and blanching the spinach
- 2-3 cups ice cold water or chilled water - for adding the blanched spinach leaves
- 2 cups boiled corn kernels (sweet corn) OR green peas (matar)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 pinch turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- ¼ cup cream (20% to 25% low fat cream) - whisked till smooth - i used amul cream,
- 1 cup water
- 2 to 3 tablespoon oil or butter
for masala paste
- 1 medium sized onion - roughly chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato - roughly chopped
- 1 inch ginger (adrak) - roughly chopped
- 3 to 4 small to medium garlic cloves (lahsun) - chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch) - chopped
- 2 tablespoon chopped or broken cashews (kaju)
- ½ tablespoon magaz or melon seeds. you can also use watermelon seeds.
- ½ inch ginger - julienned
HOW TO MAKE palak corn
preparing masala paste for corn palak
- in a small grinder or blender, add all the ingredients for the masala paste.
- grind or blend to a smooth paste. add very little water if required while grinding.
- keep this masala paste aside.
blanching and making spinach puree
- rinse the spinach very well in water. boil water with some salt. let the water comes to a boil. then switch off the flame. immediately add the spinach leaves to this hot water.
- and let the spinach leaves be immersed in the water for 2 to 3 minutes.
- drain and quickly pour ice water over the spinach or immerse the spinach in ice cold or cold water. keep for 2 to 3 minutes.
- in a blender, make a semi-fine or smooth spinach puree adding very little water. keep aside.
making palak corn
- first steam or boil the corn kernels and keep aside.
- heat oil or butter in a thick bottomed pan. fry the cumin first till they become aromatic and are browned.
- now add the ground masala paste and mix very well.
- then add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, asafoetida and garam masala powder.
- keep on stirring and sautéing the masala, till the oil starts to leave the sides of the paste.
- when you see that the oil has started leaving the sides of the masala paste and its color has changed, add the spinach puree. mix very well.
- then pour water and season with salt. simmer the whole curry for 6 to 7 minutes on a low flame. later add the boiled corn kernels and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes more.
- whip or beat cream till smooth
- now add cream and kasuri methi. stir and cook further for ½ to 1 minute.
- garnish with ginger julienne and serve corn palak hot with naan, rotis or jeera rice.
how to make palak corn recipe
preparing masala paste
1. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for the masala paste.
2. in a small grinder or blender, add 2 tablespoons chopped or broken cashews, 1 or 2 chopped green chilies, 1 medium sized onion which is roughly chopped, 1 medium sized tomato which is roughly chopped, 1 inch ginger which is roughly chopped, 3 to 4 small to medium garlic cloves (chopped) and ½ tablespoon magaz (melon seeds).
3. grind or blend to a smooth paste. add very little water if required while grinding.
4. keep this masala paste aside.
making palak puree for corn palak
5. rinse 1 bunch of spinach leaves (palak) very well in water.
6. you can also rinse and drain the spinach in a colander.
7. boil 4 to 5 cups of boiled water with some salt.
8. let the water come to a boil and then switch off the flame.
9. immediately add the spinach leaves to this hot water.
10. let the spinach leaves be immersed in the water for 2 to 3 minutes.
11. separately keep ice cold water ready. i added 10 to 12 ice cubes in 2 cups of water. alternatively you can use chilled water as well.
12. after 2 to 3 minutes with the help of tongs, remove the spinach and place them in the ice water bowl.
13. keep the spinach immersed in ice cold water for 2 to 3 minutes.
14. in a blender add the spinach.
15. blend to a semi-fine or smooth spinach puree adding very little water. you should get approximately 2 to 2.5 cups of spinach (palak) puree. keep the spinach puree aside.
cooking sweet corn
16. first steam or boil 2 cups corn kernels. i have pressure cooked the corn kernels. add enough water just covering the corn kernels while pressure cooking them. you can also steam them in a pressure cooker. alternatively you can steam or boil 2 medium corn cobs for 4 to 5 whistles. let them cool and then remove the corn kernels with a knife.
17. drain and then keep the boiled corn kernels aside.
18. now keep all the ingredients ready for the palak corn curry.
making masala for palak corn curry
19. heat 2 to 3 tablespoons oil or butter in a thick bottomed pan. add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera).
21. fry the cumin seeds, till they become aromatic and are browned.
22. now add the ground masala paste.
23. mix very well.
24. then add 1 pinch turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, 1 pinch asafoetida and ¼ or ½ teaspoon garam masala powder.
25. stir and mix the spices well. saute the masala paste, stirring often.
26. keep on stirring the masala, till the oil starts to leave the sides of the masala paste.
27. stir often and saute till you see oil leaving the sides of masala paste.
making palak corn curry
28. then add the spinach puree.
29. stir and mix very well.
30. pour 1 cup of water.
31. next add salt as required. mix well.
32. simmer the palak corn curry for 6 to 7 minutes on a low flame.
33. after 6 to 7 minutes, add the boiled corn kernels.
34. mix well.
35. simmer for 1 to 2 minutes more.
36. whip or beat ¼ cup cream till smooth.
37. now add the beaten cream and ½ teaspoon crushed kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves).
38. stir and cook further for ½ to 1 minute.
39. add ginger julienne (from ½ inch ginger).
40. serve the palak corn hot with naan, rotis or jeera rice. for more corn recipes, you can check this collection of 23 corn recipes.