gujarati kadhi recipe with step by step photos – gujarati kadhi is a sweet-sour yogurt kadhi made without chickpea flour fritters. to all those who do not know, kadhi is a yogurt-based gravy dish to which chickpea flour/besan is added, tempered and then simmered with spices.
at home we all love kadhi. kadhis are excellent for summers as they are cooling. every region in india has their own way of making kadhis like punjabi kadhi, rajasthani kadhi, maharashrian kadhi, sol kadhi and so on.
in fact every family have their own kadhi recipes. even though i love the punjabi kadhi pakora, i also like the gujarati kadhi. the punjabi kadhi is made from sour yogurt and is thick. whereas the gujarati kadhi is thin and sweet as jaggery/sugar is added to it. i love both the versions.
the gujarati kadhi is a light dish, but the punjabi kadhi pakora is not a light one…. it can be a bit heavy if you have too much of it.. what with all the pakoras simmered in the thick yogurt gravy 🙂
this is a quick recipe and within 20 minutes your gujarati kadhi will be ready. there are no pakoras in this recipe. but if you want you can add some pakoras or boondi to the kadhi. the kadhi is excellent with basmati rice or soft phulkas. vegans can make it with cashew yogurt.
for the kadhi
- 1 cup fresh curd (yogurt)
- 2 to 2.5 cups water
- 4 tablespoons gram flour (besan)
- ½ tablespoon ginger-green chili paste or crushed ½ inch ginger & 1 to 2 green chilies
- 1 tablespoon sugar or jaggery, add more for more sweetness
- salt as required
- coriander leaves for garnishing
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 generous pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 2 broken red chilies, deseeded
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi ke dane)
- 1 tablespoon oil or ghee
- mix the chickpea flour/besan, green chilly-ginger paste, yogurt, sugar and salt with water.
- beat to a smooth mixture.
- fry all the ingredients meant for tempering.
- add the yogurt-water mixture.
- give a boil first and then simmer for 5 minutes more or as required.
- continue to stir in between to avoid lumps from getting formed.
- garnish kadhi with chopped coriander and serve hot gujarati kadhi with rice or phulka.
how to make gujarati kadhi
1: in a bowl take 4 tbsp besan (gram flour), ½ tbsp ginger-green chili paste, 1 cup yogurt/curd, 1 tbsp sugar (or jaggery) and salt as required.
2: add 2 to 2.5 cups water.
3: whisk everything to a smooth consistency.
4: tempering ingredients are in the below pic. the curry leaves are dry curry leaves.
5: in a pan, heat 1 tbsp oil or ghee. add ½ tsp mustard and let them crackle. add rest of the spices – ½ tsp cumin, 1 inch cinnamon, 2 cloves, 1 sprig curry leaves, 2 broken red chilies, ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds and a pinch or two of asafoetida/hing. fry for a minute.
6: add the yogurt mixture slowly.
7: mix well and give a boil first. do use a large pan and stir often, so that the kadhi does not spill out.
8: later let the kadhi simmer for 5 minutes more. stir in between to avoid the lumps from forming. adjust the salt and sugar as required. check the taste and there should be no rawness from the besan felt in the kadhi. if there is some rawness from the besan, then simmer for some more minutes.
9: serve gujarati kadhi hot with basmati rice or phulkas.