Maharashtrian kadhi recipe with step by step photos. Maharashtrian kadhi is a quick yogurt and gram flour based sauce or kadhi made without pakoras. Tempered with spices and a bit sweet.
Kadhi with or without pakoras is always a regular at home. When I have time I make kadhi with pakoras and when busy, I make a quick kadhi without pakoras. This Maharashtrian kadhi falls in the later category.
Yogurt or curd based dishes are cooling in summers. so I end up making kadhi often at home. Kadhi is a popular yogurt & gram flour based sauce all over India. Each state and region have their own ways of making kadhi. I have already posted recipes of:
The taste of this Maharashtrian kadhi is slightly sweet due to the addition of sugar. You can use either fresh or sour yogurt. The tempering of curry leaves, asafoetida/hing, mustard and cumin perk up the kadhi. This is also a no onion and no garlic recipe.
This tasty Maharashtrian kadhi along with steamed rice, makes for a simple summer meal. Serve a side vegetable dish, a salad or simply have the kadhi with rice along with some roasted papad and a lemon or mango pickle. One of my favorite combination is to serve this Maharashtrian kadhi with a simple Maharashtrian mung dal khichdi.
How to make Maharashtrian kadhi
Making curd mixture for kadhi
1. In a bowl, take 1 cup curd (yogurt). Use the curd which is made from full fat milk. Otherwise, the curd can split.
2. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons besan (gram flour or chickpea flour) to the curd.
3. Pour 2 cups water.
4. Mix very well with a wired whisk.
5. Whisk the mixture very well so that no lumps are there.
6. The mixture should be smooth else the kadhi will not appear smooth.
7. Measure all the ingredients and keep ready.
Tempering Maharashtrian kadhi
8. Heat 1 tablespoon ghee or oil in a pan or kadai.
9. Add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds.
10. Let them crackle.
11. Then add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds.
12. Let them crackle.
13. Then add 1 or 2 slit green chilies, ½ inch grated or minced ginger and 5 to 6 curry leaves.
14. Saute for a few seconds.
15. Then add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and 2 pinches of asafoetida (hing).
16. Stir and mix well.
Making Maharashtrian kadhi
17. Then add the curd+water+besan mixture.
18. Stir and mix very well.
19. Season with salt and add ¼ teaspoon sugar or as required. You can also add jaggery instead of sugar.
20. Mix very well.
21. Let the sauce or kadhi come to a gentle simmer.
22. Continue to simmer till it becomes slightly thick.
23. Stir at intervals.
24. If you cook more then the kadhi will become more thick. So depending on the consistency you prefer, you can cook accordingly.
25. Check the taste and then add more salt or sugar if required.
26. Lastly, add 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves.
27. Serve Maharashtrian kadhi hot with steamed rice or moong dal khichdi topped with a bit of ghee along with papad and pickle.
More yogurt recipes
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
for making curd mixture
- 1 cup Curd (yogurt) - fresh or sour full-fat curd
- 2 to 3 tablespoons besan (gram flour or chickpea flour)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter) or oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds - optional
- 1 or 2 green chilies, slit
- ½ inch ginger, made into a paste or minced or grated
- 5 to 6 curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 pinches asafoetida (hing)
- salt as required
- ¼ teaspoon sugar or add as required
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
making curd mixture
- Mix together curd, water and gram flour in a bowl.
- Using a wired whisk, mix the batter so well so that no lumps are there.
tempering maharashtrian kadhi
- Heat ghee or oil in a pan. Add the mustard and let them crackle.
- Then add the cumin. Stir and add the green chilies, ginger and curry leaves.
- Saute for a few seconds. Add the turmeric powder and asafoetida.
making maharashtrian kadhi
- Stir and then add the yogurt+water+gram flour mixture. Season with salt and sugar. Stir very well.
- Let the kadhi come to a gentle simmer.
- Continue to simmer till the kadhi becomes slightly thick. Stir at intervals.
- If you cook more it will become more thick. So depending on the consistency you prefer, you can simmer the kadhi accordingly.
- Check the taste and then add more salt or sugar if required.
- Lastly, garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve the maharashtrian kadhi hot with steamed rice or mung dal khichdi topped with a bit of ghee along with papad and pickle.
- Use the curd which is made from full fat milk. Otherwise the curd can split.
- You can also add jaggery instead of sugar.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later