Lauki curry recipe with step by step photos – lauki or bottle gourd or opo squash is one veggie that I often cook in the summers. Having a high water content, cooling, nutritious and easy to cook… I don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen in the heat.
Here the bottle gourd curry is made with coconut milk and yogurt. So triple cooling for the body. The curry is soothing and very light on the tummy.
This lauki curry is my mom’s recipe. She often makes this one during the summers along with cooling curries like Kokum curry, kadhi, avial and coconut milk or yogurt based stews or curries.
This curry goes best with some steamed rice with a side vegetable salad or pickle. You can either make the coconut milk at home or get a ready one. Mom makes the curry with milk yogurt whereas I have substituted with cashew curd. the ingredients are simple and which can be found easily in an Indian kitchen.
How to make bottle gourd curry
1: rinse, peel and chop the bottle gourd into small pieces.
2. Add the bottle gourd, salt, yogurt, curry leaves, green chilies and water in a pan. Mix very well. You can even mix the curd with water first very well and then add bottle gourd, salt, curry leaves and green chilies.
3: Stir and cook for 12 to 15 minutes till the bottle gourd is cooked.
4: Add the coconut milk and simmer for a minute. Don’t cook much as the coconut milk would otherwise curdle.
5: Prepare the tempering with the spices and then pour over the curry.
6. stir and Serve the bottle gourd curry hot with steamed rice.
Few more tasty curry recipes for you!
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
lauki curry | bottle gourd curry
- 1.5 to 2 cups chopped lauki (bottle gourd or ghia or opo squash)
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- ½ cup Curd (yogurt or any vegan yogurt)
- 2 to 2.5 cups water
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 green chili - chopped
- salt as required
- 1 or 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cumin
making lauki curry
- Rinse and peel the lauki and cut into small bite size pieces.
- Add the lauki pieces, salt, yogurt , curry leaves, green chilies and water in a pan. You can even mix the curd with water first very well and then add lauki, salt, curry leaves and green chilies.
- Stir and cook for 12 to 15 minutes till the lauki is cooked without a lid.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer for a minute. Don't cook much as the coconut milk would otherwise curdle.
for tempering lauki curry
- Heat oil in a small pan. Add the mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add the cumin and fry for some seconds.
- Pour this tempering along with the oil on the curry.
- Stir and serve the bottle gourd curry hot with steamed rice.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later