Gujarati surati dal recipe – i often make Gujarati dal at home. It is one of the simplest and yet flavorful dal. A vegan recipe.
While this is not the recipe for Gujarati dal, but Surati dal. I had seen this dal recipe in one of the cookbooks which I have and had bookmarked it.
What I liked about surati dal was that there were peanuts added to the dal. The surati dal is made from tuvar dal (pigeon pea lentils) and is slightly sweet & sour due to the addition of jaggery and lemon juice. The tomatoes also add a lot of flavor to the dal. Few more dal recipes which have sweet and sour taste are:
This is also a no onion and no garlic recipe. If you observe the pics, The dal has a thin consistency hence pairs very well with rice and even goes well with chapatis or rotis. So here is the comforting and healthy Gujarati surati dal recipe for you.
I make dal every alternate day, be it Dal fry or Dal tadka and these simple dal recipes never get updated by me on the blog. So I have decided that I am going to post everyday food that we make at home like dal, vegetable curries & stir fries, simple chutneys and salads on the blog.
If you are looking for more Lentil recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you want more delicious vegetarian Indian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
- ¾ cup pigeon pea lentils (tuvar dal or arhar dal)
- 2 medium size tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoon unroasted raw peanuts
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1 or 1.5 tablespoon jaggery or sugar
- ½ or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt as required
for tempering surati dal
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee
- 1-2 dry red chilies
making surati dal
- Pick and rinse the tuvar dal.
- Pressure cook the dal with the tomatoes in 2.5 or 3 cups of water till the dal is completely cooked.
- With a whisk or with a wooden spoon, mash the lentils to a smooth mixture.
- Add the peanuts, green chilies, curry leaves, turmeric powder, red chili powder, ginger & jaggery and salt to the dal.
- Bring the whole dal to a boil and then simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- If the consistency of the dal becomes thick, then add some water. Switch off the flame.
for tempering surati dal
- Heat oil or ghee in a pan.
- Add the mustard seeds and when they pop, add the asafoetida.
- Lastly add the red chilies. Fry for a few seconds but don't burn.
- Quickly pour this tempering along with the oil in the dal.
- Stir and continue to simmer the dal for a couple of minutes.
- Add lemon juice and stir. Check the seasonings.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve the hot surati dal with rotis or rice along with a side vegetable dish.
- As per your spice preferences, you can adjust the red chili powder, red chilies and green chilies in the surati dal.
- The consistency of the surati dal is usually thin, but you can make a medium consistency one.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.