This is a mildly sweet and lightly tangy green chutney made from coriander leaves, mint leaves, lemon juice and sugar.
I had seen this chutney recipe in a book and what I liked was the addition of sugar in this chutney. I had to try this chutney. I adapted the recipe to our own tastes. I have made this chutney to go with the aloo tikki burger.
This chutney had the flavors of mint and coriander as well as the tang from lemon juice with a sweet taste due to the sugar. The lemon juice helps to preserve the chutney and this chutney has a shelf life for 4-5 days if stored in refrigerator.
Since the chutney is sweet it makes for a good spread on sandwiches while making for kids. You can reduce the green chili completely or use half of a green chili, if making for kids.
You can also serve this tangy sweet chutney with samosa, pakora, tikki or any other Indian snack. You can also apply this chutney on veggie sandwiches and burgers.
How to make green chutney with lemon juice and sugar
1. Rinse ¾ cup coriander leaves (cilantro leaves) and ¼ cup mint leaves well in water.
2. Drain and chop them roughly.
3. Chop 1 green chili and 2 to 3 garlic cloves. Measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making chutney.
4. In a blender or a chutney grinder, add chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves.
5. Next add 1 teaspoon sugar, chopped garlic and chopped green chili.
6. Add ½ tablespoon lemon juice.
7. Add regular salt or black salt as required.
8. Lastly add water. I have used about ¼ cup of water. The quantity of water can be adjusted as per your liking. But don’t make the chutney very thin.
9. Blend everything well till smooth.
10. Remove the chutney in a serving bowl and serve with Indian snacks like samosa, pakora, tikki or dabeli. You can also apply this chutney on sandwiches and burgers. it stays well in the fridge for 4-5 days.
If you are looking for more Chutney recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
green chutney with lemon juice and sugar
- ¾ cup coriander leaves
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- 1 green chili
- 2 to 3 garlic
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar or organic unrefined cane sugar or as required
- regular salt or black salt as required
- ¼ cup water or as required
- Rinse the coriander leaves and the mint leaves well in water.
- Chop the green chili and the garlic roughly.
- In a blender jar add, chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, green chili, garlic, lemon juice, sugar and salt with ¼ cup water or as required.
- The quantity of water can be adjusted as per your liking. But don't make the chutney very thin.
- Blend everything well till smooth.
- Serve the chutney with Indian snacks like samosa, pakora, tikki.
- You can also apply this chutney on sandwiches and burgers.
- It stays well in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later