Spaghetti Bolognese recipe. This recipe of spaghetti bolognese with mushrooms is a treat for spaghetti and mushroom lovers. You can easily make this delicious pasta dish as a brunch or a meal for lunch or dinner.
Pasta bolognese is made with bolognese sauce. Bolognese sauce is generally a meat based sauce having its origins in ‘bologna’ in Italy. Thus the name ‘bolognese’.
In bologna, tagliatelle pasta is served with bolognese sauce. Pasta varieties like pappardalle, fettuccine, penne and rigatoni can also be used as alternatives to tagliatelle.
Bolognese served with spaghetti or spaghetti bolognese recipe is a dish that is made and served outside Italy. This is a my own vegetarian version of spaghetti bolognese recipe.
I have tried to kept the authenticity of the bolognese sauce, except for carrots and white or red wine. I did not have white or red wine, so have added balsamic vinegar instead.
The bolognese sauce is made first and then the spaghetti are tossed in the sauce. Here I have used organic durum wheat spaghetti.
The result was smooth, flavorful and spiced pasta dish that even beat the gourmet food that one gets outside. The white button mushrooms adds a lot of texture to the dish and combine with the smoothness of spaghetti very well.
Some more Pasta recipes on the blog which you may like:
So try this mushroom spaghetti bolognese at home and you won’t miss a gourmet pasta dish ever. Serve the spaghetti with a salad And soup by the side.
- 250 grams white button mushrooms - rinsed and chopped
- 250 grams whole wheat or semolina spaghetti
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 medium sized tomatoes, pureed
- ½ teaspoon balsamic vinegar or ½ tablespoon white wine
- ½ cup chopped fresh herbs or 2 teaspoon dry mixed herbs or italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes or red chili powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- salt as required
- black pepper powder as required
- First cook the pasta in enough boiling water to which some salt has been added.
- Cook the spaghetti till al dente.
- Strain and stir some oil in the spaghetti so that they don't stick to each other or dry out.
making bolognese sauce
- Make a puree of the tomatoes.
- Heat olive oil. First add the onions and garlic .
- Saute for 3 to 4 minutes or till the onions gets cooked, but don't brown them.
- Add the mushrooms and saute them till the mushrooms are cooked.
- Initially the mushrooms will release water. Continue to stir and sauté till all the water is evaporated and the mushrooms turn light golden at the edges.
- The mushroom will also shrink in size
- Now add the tomato puree. Simmer for 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in between.
- Add the celery or basil or a mixture of fresh or dry herbs ( I used celery and basil)
- Add the balsamic vinegar or wine and stir.
- Also add the red chili flakes, salt and pepper. Stir the sauce. Check the taste and add some more herbs, vinegar, salt if required.
making spaghetti bolognese
- Finally add the spaghetti and toss them well so that the sauce coats the spaghetti.
- Garnish with some celery or basil and serve spaghetti bolognese hot.