Corn pakoda Recipe With step by step photos. fried corn fritters made with besan (gram flour), sweet corn, spices and herbs. These crispy and tasty corn fritters are a regular snack I make during monsoons.
Whenever I make these crisp fried snacks, I always added boiled corn kernels. The fritters are made with besan or gram flour. So they are gluten free if you don’t add asafoetida.
You can also use tinned corn to make these. the pakoda can be made with sweet corn or desi corn. at home, the preferences are always for sweet corn.
I served these corn pakoda with mango chutney. A cup of hot tea will also go very well along with these pakoras.
For more similar snacks you may like are:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
- 1.5 cups corn kernels or two medium corn cobs
- 1.5 cups gram flour (besan)
- 2 to 3 spring onions with greens or 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ½ inch ginger, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder or cayenne pepper or paprika
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (ground turmeric)
- ¼ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper - optional
- ¼ teaspoon fennel powder - optional
- salt as required
- ½ cup water or as required
- chaat masala as required for sprinkling on the pakoras
- oil for deep or shallow frying
- Boil two medium corn cobs in a pressure cooker or in a pot.
- Drain and let them cool. remove the corn kernels with a knife.
- Should yield approx 1.5 cup corn kernels.
making corn pakoda batter
- In a bowl, add corn kernels and 2 to 3 spring onions with their greens.
- Next add ½ inch ginger (finely chopped) and 1 green chilli (finely chopped).
- Add ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder, 1 pinch asafoetida (hing), ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper (optional), ¼ teaspoon fennel powder (optional) and salt as required. Mix well.
- Now add 1.5 cups gram flour (besan). Add ½ cup water. mix very well. Make a smooth flowing batter of medium consistency.
frying corn pakoda
- Heat oil in a kadai or pan.
- Drop spoonfuls of the batter in medium hot oil and fry the pakoda till golden and crisp.
- Remove the fried corn fritters with a slotted spoon and drain them on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Serve them hot with green chutney, mango chutney or tomato sauce.
- While serving, sprinkle some chaat masala on the corn pakodas.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
How to make corn pakoda recipe
1. Boil two medium corn cobs in a pressure cooker or in a pot.
2. Drain the water and let them cool.
3. Remove the corn kernels with a knife.
4. It should yield approx 1.5 cup corn kernels.
Making corn pakoda batter
5. In a bowl, add corn kernels and 2 to 3 spring onions with their greens. Instead of spring onions greens you can also use 1 medium sized chopped onion.
6. Next add ½ inch ginger (finely chopped) and 1 green chilli (finely chopped).
7. Add ¼ teaspoon red chili powder, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder, 1 pinch asafoetida (hing), ¼ teaspoon crushed black pepper (optional), ¼ teaspoon fennel powder (optional) and salt as required.
8. Mix very well.
9. Now add 1.5 cups gram flour (besan).
10. Add ½ cup water or as required.
11. Mix very well. I have used a wired whisk to mix the pakoda batter, but you can mix with spoon also. you need to make a smooth flowing batter of medium consistency. So you can add water as required.
Frying corn pakoda
12. Heat oil in a kadai or pan for frying the pakoras.
13. Drop spoonfuls of the corn pakoda batter in medium hot oil.
14. Fry the corn pakoda till golden and crisp.
15. Remove the fried corn fritters with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels to remove excess oil.
16. In the same manner fry remaining corn fritters with the rest of the batter.
17. Serve the corn pakoda hot with green chutney or mango chutney or tomato sauce. while serving, sprinkle some chaat masala on the corn fritters. For more delicious corn recipes you can check this collection of 23 Recipes made with corn.