mango chutney recipe – this mango chutney is one of the last recipe i made in this mango season. there are many variations of making mango chutney from sweet to sour to raw to cooked versions.
in this mango chutney semi ripe mangoes are used so there is a sweet and tangy taste to the chutney. there is also ginger, so there is a fresh ginger flavor in the chutney. if you want you can even make this chutney with unripe sour mangoes or ripe sweet mangoes. just adjust the sugar accordingly depending upon the sweetness of the mangoes.
as a sweetener i have used powdered jaggery which gives earthy tones to this mango chutney but you can also use sugar instead.
i have already two more mango chutney recipes:
this mango chutney is very easy and is ready in 20 minutes. it is flavored with the panch phoran spices – the five spice mix use in bengali cuisine – namely cumin or jeera, fennel (saunf), wild celery seeds (radhuni), fenugreek seeds (methi) and nigella (kalonji seeds). to know more you can check this panch phoron recipe.
usually radhuni which are wild celery seeds is one of the spice used in this 5 spice mixture blend. but it is very difficult to get it outside bengal. so you can substitute it with either mustard or carom seeds. for this recipe i have used black mustard seeds.
the mango chutney can be served as a side dish along with a main course indian meal. the chutney can also be had as a dip with starters or snacks. it can also be had with rotis, parathas or simply as it is.
if you are looking for more chutney recipes then do check:
mango chutney recipe below:
mango chutney recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2 medium sized juicy semi ripe mangoes
- ½ teaspoon panch phoran - equal mix of cumin, fennel, mustard, nigella & fenugreek seeds
- 2 tablespoon powdered jaggery or as required - adjust as per the sweetness of the mangoes
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil or any vegetable oil
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - grated or finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 pinch garam masala powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- salt as required
how to make mango chutney recipe
- peel and finely chop the mangoes.
- if the mangoes are very juicy and fibrous, you can just remove the pulp.
making mango chutney:
- heat oil in the pan.
- fry the panch phoran spices till fragrant.
- now add the ginger and fry for some seconds till its raw aroma goes away.
- add the finely chopped mango or mango pulp/puree.
add the red chili powder, garam masala powder and asafoetida (hing). stir.
- simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- add the powdered jaggery and salt.
- stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- don't overcook as the mixture will become thick.
- remove the mango chutney in a bowl.
- serve mango chutney warm or at room temperature as dip or spread.
- mango chutney stays good for 2-3 days in the refrigerator.