vermicelli upma or seviyan upma is another version of making popular south indian breakfast recipe of upma. upma is traditionally made from semolina (suji) but you can also make it with seviyan or vermicelli and it tastes yum.
vermicelli are mostly known and used for making vermicelli kheer or pudding. but there are few other recipes where we can use vermicelli like vermicelli cutlet, dry sweet vermicelli dish or this upma recipe. seviyan are either made from wheat flour or maida (all purpose flour). i prefer seviyan made from wheat flour as they are more healthy than the ones made from maida.
i make upma many times for breakfast. in maharashtra, upma and poha are two popular breakfast recipes. upma is traditionally served with coconut chutney, lime pickle or lime slices. it can also be had plain. ideally it should be eaten hot or warm.
vermicelli upma recipe details below:
- 1.5 cups seviyan or fine whole wheat vermicelli, roasted and kept aside
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 9-10 curry leaves/kadi patta
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin/jeera
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 red chili, whole (optional)
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- a pinch of asafoetida/hing (optional)
- 1 cup water
- salt as required
- sugar (optional)
- 2 tbsp oil or ghee
- first roast the vermicelli till browned or you can use ready roasted vermicelli.
- heat oil or ghee in a pan.
- add the mustard seeds and let them pop in the oil.
- add the urad dal and the cumin and fry them till they get browned.
- add the onions and saute till they become translucent.
- now add the curry leaves, ginger, green chill, red chili and saute till the raw aroma of the ginger goes away.
- add asafoetida and stir for a few seconds.
- add water, salt and sugar and let the mixture come to a boil.
- lower the flame and add the roasted vermicelli.
- stir and cook the vermicelli till they become soft and all the water is absorbed.
- keep on stirring in between.
- when the vermicelli is cooked completely and all the water is absorbed, switch off the fire.
- serve the vermicelli upma garnished with some coriander leaves.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media