veg pulao recipe with step by step photos. vegetable pulao is a comfort food as well as satisfying. pair this mildly flavored aromatic veg pulao with a raita, pickle and roasted papad and you don’t need anything else.
i make veg pulao when i want to cook something quick and easy. this is my mom’s vegetable pulao recipe and one of our favorite rice recipes, the other being veg biryani.
i have many veg pulao recipes in the blog like rajma pulao, peas pulao, kashmiri pulao, veg yakhni pulao and so on. however most of the times i always end up making veg pulao this way and my own recipe of veg pulao in pressure cooker.
i also tried some other variations of making vegetable pulaos but it did not suit our taste buds. there is no addition of any pulao or biryani masala in this recipe. just the whole garam masala spices are added.
what i like about making veg pulao is that its gets made quickly. if you have a food processor for chopping the veggies, then its more quick. usually i like the texture of the rice to be a little soft in pulao than being al dente or the way they are served in restaurants.
you can make the veg pulao in a pressure cooker or in a pan. in the notes section, i have mentioned the amount of water to be added while cooking pulao in a pressure cooker. the rice grains have to be separate & yet well cooked in a pulao or biryani.
cooking rice can be tricky at times and to get the right texture needs some experience. cooking rice perfectly needs a separate post and i will share my successes & failures on cooking rice in another post.
veg pulao recipe below:
veg pulao recipe
INGREDIENTS (1 cup = 250 ml)
main ingredients for veg pulao:
- 1.5 cups long grained or basmati rice soaked for 30 minutes
- ¼ cup heaped EACH of chopped potatoes, cauliflower/broccoli, french beans, green peas (fresh or frozen) and carrots - OR 1 to 1.5 cups chopped vegetables of your choice
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium size tomato, chopped
- ½ inch ginger + 2 to 3 medium garlic cloves + 1 green chili - crushed to a paste in a mortar-pestle
- 6 to 7 drops of lime juice
- 2.5 to 3 cups water or veg stock * check notes below for details. i added 3 cups of water
- 2 tablespoon ghee or 2.5 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
whole spices for veg pulao:
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera) OR ¾ teaspoon caraway seeds (shah jeera)
- 4 to 5 whole black pepper (sabut kali mirch)
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf or tamalpatra)
- 2 to 3 cloves (laung or lavang)
- 2 to 3 green cardamoms (hari elaichi or choti elaichi)
- 1 black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 2 single strands of mace (jayitri or javitri)
- 1 small star anise (chakriphool)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 small piece of stone flower (dagad phool or patthar ke phool) - optional
HOW TO MAKE RECIPE
soaking rice for veg pulao:
- rinse rinse till the water runs clear of starch and become transparent while rinsing.
soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes. drain and keep aside.
making veg pulao recipe in a pot or pan:
- in a deep thick bottomed pot or pan, heat ghee/oil and fry all the whole spices mentioned above, till the oil becomes fragrant
- add the onions and saute them till golden. saute the onions on a low flame and stir often for uniform browning.
- add the ginger-garlic-green chili paste and saute for 10 to 12 seconds.
- add the tomatoes and saute for 2-3 minutes on a low flame.
- add all the veggies and saute again for 2-3 minutes on a low flame.
- add drained rice and saute gently for 2 minutes on a low flame, so that the rice gets well coated with the oil.
- pour water and stir.
- sprinkle 6 to 7 drops of lime juice. season with salt and stir again.
cover tightly and let the rice cook on a low flame, till the water is absorbed and the rice is well cooked.
check in between a few times to check if the water is enough. depending on the quality of rice, you may need to add less or more water. with a fork too, you can gently stir the rice without breaking the rice grains.
- once the rice grains are cooked, fluff and let the rice stand for 5 minutes.
- serve the veg pulao hot with some side salad, sliced onion & lemon wedges or raita. you can also garnish veg pulao with chopped coriander or mint leaves.
if you are making veg pulao in a pressure cooker, then add 2.5 to 3 cups water. for an al dente texture, 2.5 cups is fine and for a softer texture 3 cups water is fine.
how to make veg pulao recipe:
1. firstly rinse the rice in water runs clear of starch. then soak the rice in enough water for 30 minutes. then drain the rice and keep aside.
2. when the rice is soaking, prep the veggies and keep the whole spices aside. pic of the the whole spices added in the pulao, except cumin.
3. heat ghee or oil in a deep thick bottomed pot or pan. add all whole spices and fry till they become fragrant.
4. add the thinly sliced onions. saute the onions on a low flame till golden and stirring them often for uniform browning.
5. once the onions become golden, then add crushed ginger+garlic+green chili paste. stir and saute till the raw aroma of the ginger & garlic goes away.
6. add chopped tomatoes. saute for 2 to 3 minutes on a low flame.
7. now add all the chopped veggies and saute again for 2 to 3 minutes on a low flame.
8. add the drained rice.
9. saute rice gently for 2 minutes on a low flame, so that the rice gets well coated with the oil.
10. pour water.
11. stir well.
12. add 6 to 7 drops of lime juice to the veg pulao.
13. season with salt. to find the amount of salt added, check the taste of the water. you should feel saltiness in the water. this means the amount of salt added is right. if the water does not feel salty, then you need to add some more salt.
14. stir and cover the pot or pan with its lid tightly.
15. cover and cook the rice till all the water is absorbed. cook veg pulao on a low to medium flame. usually in the beginning i cook on a medium flame and then half way lower the flame. check in between a few times to check if the water is enough. depending on the quality of rice, you may need to add less or more water. with a fork too, you can gently stir the rice without breaking the rice grains.
16. once the rice grains are cooked, fluff and let the rice stand for 5 minutes covered with the lid.
17. serve veg pulao garnished with coriander leaves or mint leaves or fried onions and cashews. as a side accompaniment, serve onion tomato raita or boondi raita or cucumber raita or just plain yogurt along with roasted papad and mango pickle or lemon pickle.