i make veg pulao when i want to cook something quick and easy. this is my mom’s vegetable pulao recipe and one of our favorite rice dish, the other being veg biryani.
i have many veg pulao recipes in the blog like asian style veg pulao, peas pulao, veg pulao in microwave oven and so on… but at home i always end up making veg pulao this way and my own recipe of veg pulao in pressure cooker.
i also tried some other variations of making vegetable pulaos but i did not like them. there is no addition of any pulao or biryani masala in this recipe. just the whole garam masala spices are added.
what i like about making veg pulao is that its gets made quickly. if you have a food processor for chopping the veggies, then its more quick. usually i like the texture of the rice to be a little soft in pulao than being al dente or the way they serve in restaurants.
you can make the veg pulao in a pressure cooker or in a pan. in the notes section, i have mentioned the amount of water to be added while cooking pulao in a pressure cooker. the rice grains have to be separate & yet well cooked in a pulao or biryani.
cooking rice can be tricky at times and to get the right texture needs some experience. cooking rice perfectly needs a separate post and i will share my successes & failures on cooking rice in another post.
vegetable pulao recipe details below:
- 2 cups long grained or basmati rice soaked for 30 minutes
- 2 or 2.5 cups of chopped mixed veggies (cauliflower, carrots, green peas, potatoes, broccoli, corn kernels, baby corn, french beans )
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste (adrak-lahsun paste)
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- 1 medium size tomato (optional), chopped
- 4.5 cups water or veg stock (check notes below for details)
- 2 to 3 tbsp oil or ghee
- salt as required
- 1 tsp cumin or shah jeera/caraway seeds
- 1 bay leaf or tej patta or tamalpatra
- 2-3 cloves or laung
- 2 green cardamoms or hari elaichi or choti elaichi
- 1 black cardamom or badi elaichi
- 1 pinch of mace or jayitri or javitri,
- 1 small star anise or chakriphool
- 1 inch cinnamon or dal chini
- in a deep pot, heat oil and fry all the whole spices till the oil becomes fragrant.
- add the onions and brown them.
- add the ginger-garlic paste and saute for a minute.
- add the tomatoes & green chilies and saute for 2-3 minutes on a low flame.
- add all the veggies and saute again for 2-3 minutes on a low flame.
- drain the rice and saute for 2-3 minutes on a low flame, so that the rice gets well coated with the oil.
- pour water and stir.
- season with salt.
- cover tightly and let the rice cook on a low flame, till the water is absorbed and the rice is well cooked.
- fluff and let the rice stand for 5 minutes.
- serve the veg pulao hot with some side salad, sliced onion & lemon wedges or raita.