veg noodles with video and step by step photos – easy recipe of veg noodles. this a homely recipe of an indo chinese veg noodles and not the kinds one gets in restaurants and street side indo chinese stalls.
this version of veg noodles is neither spicy nor hot as i have not added any chili sauce. the veggies can be of your choice.
use any good quality chinese noodles. you can use whole wheat noodles or plain flour noodles. the recipe can also be made with hakka noodles. noodles are a rarity in my home, considering the typical indianised taste buds of the family. so once in a blue moon, a post of noodles happens on the blog.
typically, while making any stir fried dish, the heat has to be high and the ingredients have to be tossed and stirred continuously. while making such recipes at home, its better to use a wok or a pan with handles. so that its easy to lift & hold the pan with the handles, while tossing as well as when stirring.
veg noodles recipe quick video:
2:49 minutes quick video recipe
veg noodles recipe below:
- 150 to 200 grams noodles, whole wheat or plain flour
- 1.5 litres water, 5 to 6 cups water
- ½ teaspoon oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- some water for rinsing noodles
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 medium to large carrot - julienned or shredded (gajar) or ½ cup shredded carrots
- 2 to 3 medium spring onions - finely chopped (hara pyaaz) or ⅓ cup chopped spring onions
- 8 to 10 french beans - thinly sliced diagonally or finely chopped
- 1 small to medium capsicum - julienned or finely chopped (green bell pepper or shimla mirch) or ⅓ cup sliced capsicum
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic - finely chopped (lahsun) or 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 inch ginger - finely chopped (adrak) or 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 to 2 tablespoon soy sauce or as required
- 1 to 2 teaspoons finely chopped celery OR 1 teaspoon chopped coriander (both of them have different flavors. celery will give a more chinese flavor and coriander will give an indianised taste)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons oil
- salt as required
- freshly powdered black pepper as required (kali mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar or mirin or white vinegar
- first heat enough water in a pan with salt and few drops of oil.
- when the water comes to a boil, add the noodles.
- stir and allow to cook the noodles till they are just cooked or al dente.
- whilst the noodles are cooking, prepare the veggies.
- once the noodles are cooked well, drain them in a colander or sieve.
- then rinse the noodles in fresh water by placing the colander or sieve under fresh tap water.
- drain & keep aside.
- heat oil in a wok or pan.
- first add the garlic and ginger and stir fry on medium flame for some seconds.
- increase the flame to high & add the chopped spring onions.
- keep on stirring continuously and stir fry the onions till they become translucent.
- add the veggies - carrots, capsicum and french beans.
- continue to toss & stir fry on a high flame till the veggies are almost cooked.
- use a pan with handles as its better to lift it while tossing.
- you can also decrease the flame if the heat becomes too much too handle and then stir fry the veggies on a medium flame.
- some crunch should be there in the vegetables, so don't cook the vegetables till they become completely soft.
- add the soy sauce, celery, salt and pepper. stir and then add the noodles.
- keep on tossing and stirring till the veggies are mixed well with the noodles for minute or two. switch off the fire.
- check the taste and add more salt, black pepper or soy sauce if required.
- serve the veg noodles steaming hot as it is or with some black bean sauce or tomato sauce.
- you can also serve the noodles with veg manchurian or veg balls in hot garlic sauce.
how to make veg noodles recipe with step by step pics:
preparation and cooking noodles:
1. rinse and shred or chop all the veggies. keep aside.
2. then heat 5 to 6 cups water in a pan.
3. when the water comes to a boil, add salt.
4. next add oil. mix well.
5. then add the noodles.
6. boil till the noodles are cooked well.
7. check the doneness of noodles by pressing a few noodles or tasting them. they should be softened.
8. once the noodles are cooked well, drain them in a colander or sieve.
9. then rinse the noodles in fresh water.
10. drain & keep aside.
making veg noodles:
11. heat oil in a wok or pan. first add the garlic and ginger.
12. stir fry on medium flame for some seconds.
13. then increase the flame to high & add the chopped spring onions.
14. keep on stirring continuously and stir fry the onions till they become translucent.
15. then add thinly sliced french beans.
16. stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes on a medium to high flame.
17. then add the veggies – carrots, capsicum and cabbage.
18. continue to toss and stir fry on a medium to high flame till the veggies are almost cooked. its best to use a pan with handles as its better to lift it while tossing. you can also decrease the flame if the heat becomes too much too handle and then stir fry the veggies on a medium flame.
19. some crunch should be there in the vegetables, so don’t cook the vegetables till they become completely soft.
20. then add celery. you can skip celery if you do not have it.
21. next add soy sauce. mix well.
22. then next add salt and pepper.
23. stir and mix very well.
24. now add the cooked noodles.
25. keep on tossing and stirring till the veggies are mixed well with the noodles for minute or two. switch off the flame. check the taste and add more salt, black pepper or soy sauce if required.
26. then add rice vinegar or regular white vinegar. you can even skip vinegar if you want.
27. lastly add some chopped spring onion greens. mix well.
28. serve the veg noodles steaming hot as it is or with some black bean sauce or tomato sauce. you can also serve the noodles with veg manchurian or veg balls in hot garlic sauce.