Mango Lassi Recipe
I make Mango Lassi and Sweet Punjabi Lassi often to beat the heat during this season in India.
Along with the the cool lassi i also make Shikanji, Aam Panna, Kokum Sherbet and Chaas often.
The months of April-May are the hottest and many summer drinks and coolers are made here to quench the thirst and also to cool the body.
April-May is also the season of mangoes in India. One can buy different varieties of mangoes in this season.
Mangoes are a favorite of many people. Till date, I have not found anyone who does not like mangoes. What better way than to combine the sweetness of mangoes with the sourness and coolness of curd.
I have added some cream in this recipe for mango lassi. You could skip that. Secondly, I have not used ice nor water. I wanted the lassi to be thick as this is how I prefer it.
So have a refreshing mango lassi to keep you cool this summer.
Mango Lassi Recipe details below:
- 2 cups of fresh chopped mango pieces. I used alphonso mangoes, but you could use any good variety of mango. You could also use frozen mango pulp.
- 2 cups chilled thick curd/yoghurt
- 2 tbsp cream (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp rose water (optional)
- a pinch of saffron (optional)
- sugar to taste. this also can be skipped if the mangoes are very sweet
- Peel the mangoes and chop them.
- In a blender or mixer, puree the mangoes with sugar.
- Now add the chilled curd, cream, the cardamom powder, saffron or rose water.
- Run the blender or mixer for 1 minute or till the curd is smoothened and the mango pulp mixes well with the curd.
- Pour mango lassi in glasses and serve.
instead of sugar you can also add jaggery or honey.