easy lauki curry recipe with coconut milk – lauki or bottle gourd or opo squash is one veggie that i often cook in the summers. having a high water content, cooling, nutritious and easy to cook… i don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen in the heat.
here the lauki curry is made with coconut milk and yogurt. so triple cooling for the body. the curry is soothing and very light on the tummy.
this lauki coconut curry is my mom’s recipe. she often makes this one during the summers along with cooling curries like kokum curry, kadhi, avial and coconut milk or yogurt based stews or curries. few more lauki curry recipes on the blog are:
- lauki chana dal curry
- lauki kofta curry recipe
- lauki yakhni (from kashmiri pandit cuisine)
- punjabi lauki wadi curry
this bottle gourd curry goes best with some steamed rice with a side vegetable salad or pickle. you can either make the coconut milk at home or get a ready one. mom makes the curry with milk yogurt whereas i have substituted with cashew curd. the ingredients are simple and which can be found easily in an indian kitchen.
easy lauki curry recipe below:
easy lauki curry recipe - soothing and cooling bottle guard curry made with coconut milk and yogurt.
- 1.5 to 2 cups chopped lauki (bottle gourd or ghia or opo squash)
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- ½ cup curd (yogurt or dahi or any vegan yogurt)
- 2 to 2.5 cups water
- 1 sprig curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 green chili - chopped (hari mirch)
- salt as required
- 1 or 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard (rai)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- rinse and peel the lauki and cut into small bite size pieces.
- add the lauki pieces, salt, yogurt , curry leaves, green chilies and water in a pan.
- stir and cook for 12-15 minutes till the lauki is cooked without a lid.
- add the coconut milk and simmer for a minute. don't cook much as the coconut milk would otherwise curdle.
- heat oil in a small pan. add the mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
- add the cumin and fry for some seconds.
- pour this tempering along with the oil on the lauki curry.
- stir and serve the lauki curry hot with steamed rice.
easy bottle gourd curry or lauki curry recipe:
1: peel and chop the lauki into small pieces.
2. add the lauki, salt, yogurt, curry leaves, green chilies and water in a pan.
3: stir and cook for 12 to 15 minutes till the lauki is cooked.
4: add the coconut milk and simmer for a minute. don’t cook much as the coconut milk would otherwise curdle.
5: prepare the tempering with the spices and then pour oven the curry.
6. stir and serve the lauki curry hot with steamed rice.