khamang kakdi is basically a cucumber salad. this recipe is a popular maharashtrian cucumber salad and is also known as kakdi chi koshimbir which in marathi language means, salad (koshimbir) made from cucumber (kakdi).
cucumber, coconut, roasted peanuts, lemon juice & green chilies – tempered with mustard & curry leaves… so you can imagine what tastes, flavors & textures this cucumber salad must be having.
in fact it is so good, that you can just have it plain. in fact i would tell you to have it plain and not as an accompaniment.
to completely relish its flavors, it is better to have this cucumber salad as it is.
this is a very easy recipe and gets done in 15-20 minutes. so when you want to have refreshing and light food between meals, then this khamang kakdi is an option.
now before i close this post an update: my one and only beloved camera has stopped working for some reason
i don’t know how long will it take to get it repaired as here things are so slow that it can take months. my laptop took 6 months to get repaired… so you can imagine!!!
hence i won’t be able to post any diwali or karwa chauth recipes till i get the camera done. there is only one sweet in the drafts that i had made for dussehra and that is almond halwa. so the almond halwa is going to be my only diwali post.
i have some 20+ recipes in the drafts but they are not diwali sweets or snacks recipes. i will be posting these recipes one by one. they are as varied as tibetan soup to plum jam to goan mushroom curry
once the camera gets done i will be back to clicking pics and posting new recipes.
recipe details & printable version of khamang kakdi recipe given below:
- 4-5 small cucumbers – approx 21/2 to 3 cups
- ½ cup roasted peanuts
- ½ cup freshly grated coconut
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice – can be added more or less
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- salt & sugar as required
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 7-9 curry leaves
- rinse and peel the cucumbers.
- chop them finely.
- keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
- now squeeze water from them and put them all in a bowl.
- in a mortar and pestle, coarsely crush the roasted peanuts.
- mix the peanuts, coconut, lemon juice, coriander leaves with the cucumber.
- heat oil.
- first fry the mustard seeds till they pop.
- add the curry leaves and fry for some seconds.
- pour this entire tempering mixture in the bowl of cucumber.
- toss well.
- just before serving add some sugar and salt.
- mix well and serve.