chutney and sambar are two apt accompaniments for idli and dosa. if you are also fond of trying different flavors of chutneys like me, then you can make many varieties of coconut chutney for south indians snacks apart from the classic coconut chutney which most of us love. you can also check this hotel style coconut chutney and spicy coconut chutney recipe.
like most chutney recipes, this coconut garlic chutney is also a simple and easy chutney which will not take much time to prepare. this chutney has tempering or tadka added to it. i have already posted another variation of making coconut garlic chutney which does not have tempering done towards the end.
with so many chutney recipes on the blog, you can guess, how much i am fond of chutneys, especially coconut chutney ! in the pics the chutney is served with ragi (finger millet) dosa.
coconut garlic chutney recipe below:
- ½ cup grated coconut - tightly packed, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoon roasted chana dal (roasted bengal gram)
- 1 to 2 green chilies (hari mirch) - chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves (lahsun) - chopped
- ½ cup water or as required
- rock salt as required
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon urad dal
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 to 2 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch) - kept whole or broken and deseeded
- first grind the coconut, roasted chana dal, green chilies, coriander leaves, garlic in a chutney grinder or blender with water.
- season the chutney with salt and keep aside.
- in a small pan, heat oil on a low flame.
- when the oil becomes hot, add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- keep the flame low.
- let mustard seeds crackle and the urad dal get reddish brown.
- they will take almost the same time to get cooked.
- then add the dry red chilies, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- stir and fry till the curry leaves become crisp and the red chilies change color.
- pour the hot tempering in the prepared chutney.
- stir and then serve the garlic coconut chutney with idli, dosa, vadai or upma.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes