this coconut curd chutney is preferred by my husband because it has his favorite ingredient curd/yogurt in it. the yogurt gives a slight sour taste to the chutney. this chutney taste very good with idli and dosa or plain uttapam. it can also go well with medu vada and onion or tomato uttapam. but the best combination is with idli, dosa and plain uttapam.
other variations of coconut chutney which i have already shared are sesame coconut chutney, hotel style coconut chutney, cilantro coconut chutney and red coconut chutney. in fact you can make many varieties of coconut chutney to along with your favorite south indian snacks. it also depends upon your taste.
i served this coconut curd chutney with foxtail millet/navane dosa and the combo was good.
coconut curd chutney recipe below:
- ½ cup grated coconut, fresh or frozen
- 4 tablespoon roasted chana dal (roasted husked bengal gram)
- 4 tablespoon curd (yogurt or dahi)
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies - depending on the heat in the chilies you can alter the quantity
- 5 to 6 tablespoon water for grinding the chutney
- salt as required
- 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 to 2 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- in a bowl first whisk the yogurt till smooth.
- take the coconut, roasted chana dal, ginger, green chili and water in a chutney grinder. grind till the whole chutney mixture is smooth.
- mix the chutney with the whisked yogurt. season with salt and keep aside.
- heat oil in a small pan. first crackle the mustard seeds.
- then add the red chilies, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- fry for some seconds till the curry leaves start to become crisp. make sure the red chilies don't burn.
- pour the tempering into the chutney and stir.
- serve the coconut curd chutney immediately with idli, dosa, uttapam or medu vada.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes