Aloo Paratha Recipe is one of the most popular paratha from punjab. Aloo paratha recipe is paratha stuffed with aloo mixture.
The aloo or mixture can be made as per your taste and flavor. The stuffing which I am presenting here is very simple and easy to make. This Aloo Paratha recipe is my mom-in-law’s recipe. Aloo Parathas are a hot item at our place. In Punjab the parathas are made with lots of ghee and then served with dollops of white butter or makhan. White butter can be easily made at home.
I have also shared aloo paratha dhaba style recipe. In another variation, aloo and pyaaz (onions) stuffing is used and the paratha is called aloo pyaaz ka paratha. another combination is to make aloo palak paratha in which the dough is kneaded with mashed potatoes, spinach puree and spices or this aloo gobi paratha.
Lets start Step by Step Punjabi Aloo Paratha Recipe:
- Firstly, boil the potatoes or aloo and peel them.
- Chop the aloo and add all the spice powders, green chillies, salt.
- Mash the aloo with the spice mixtures.
- Dust the board with wheat flour. Take well kneaded dough made from wheat flour. Take two medium sized balls from the dough and roll these into a circle of about 3 or 3.5 inches.
- Take a portion of the aloo mixture and spread it on one of the rolled dough.
- Cover this dough with the second rolled dough.
- Press the edges of both the rolled dough firmly.
- Apply some dry flour and roll into a disc of about 8 inches or about the size of a normal roti or chapati.
- Alternatively, you could do this technique too. Take a piece of dough. Roll it out in a small circle. Now put the aloo filling in the center of the rolled out dough.
- Take it in your palm and bring all the edges together as shown in pic below.
- Now by applying pressure with your fingers press the edges down.
- Apply some wheat flour on this stuffed dough or dust the rolling board with wheat flour. Gently roll the stuffed dough with a rolling pin. Make sure that the parathas do not break. Dust with more flour if required. Roll it into a size of a normal roti or chapati.
- Now put the rolled aloo paratha on a hot griddle.
- Fry the aloo paratha with ghee as you would usually fry the parathas. Be generous in using ghee or oil to fry the parathas. If the paratha is really fried well then it will puff up slightly. Fry the parathas till you see some brown spots. You can also press the paratha edges so that they are fried well. as some time, the paratha edges are not cooked well.
- I usually make the aloo paratha, keep it in the roti basket and top the paratha with homemade butter. This way I stack all the aloo parathas in the roti basket.
- You could even serve the aloo paratha… hot… direct from the tava with white butter or curd or mango pickle.
Tips for making Aloo Paratha Recipe:
- To make this dough, I have not used oil or ghee. But to make it more soft, you can add 1 or 2 teaspoon of ghee or oil.
- The aloo mixture can be made according to your taste and liking. You can also add roasted cumin seeds powder/jeera powder, rock salt, coriander powder. You can experiment and come out with a wonderful recipe.
- To the aloo, you can also add other boiled and mashed veggies like peas, carrot, french beans, also grated cheese and paneer, to make it more nutritious and you have your mix veg paratha.
- Always cut the onions, chillies, coriander leaves very finely. Also, the aloo should be mashed very well. There should not be any lumps or small pieces in it. This is so, so that, the parathas do not break while rolling.
- To get the slight sourness and tanginess in the aloo paratha, I have used amchur (dried mango powder), but you could also use dried pomegranate seeds powder (anardana powder). e.g. in this dhaba style aloo paratha recipe, i have used dry pomegranate seeds instead of dried mango powder and it also tasty very good.
Punjabi Aloo Paratha Recipe below:
- ⅘ potatos or aloos boiled and mashed
- 1 onion or pyaaz chopped finely (optional)
- 1 green chilli chopped finely
- ½ tsp chilli powder (optional)
- ½ tsp of garam masala powder
- 1 tsp amchur/dry mango powder
- a few coriander leaves chopped finely (optional)
- dough made from whole wheat flour
- white butter
- firstly, boil the potatoes or aloos and peel them.
- chop the aloos and add all the spice powders, green chilies, salt.
- mash the aloos with the spice mixtures.
- make two medium sized balls from the dough and roll these into a circle of about 3 or 3.5 inches.
- take a portion of the aloo mixture and spread it on one of the rolled dough.
- cover this dough with the second rolled dough.
- press the edges of both the rolled dough firmly.
- apply some dry flour and roll into a disc of about 8 inches or about the size of a normal roti or chapati.
- (another method is explained in the pictorial step above)
- put the rolled aloo parantha on a hot griddle.
- fry the aloo paratha with ghee as you would usually fry the parathas.
- serve the aloo paratha hot with white butter or curd or mango pickle.