Fresh turmeric pickle recipe – this is one of the most simplest turmeric pickle made with Just three ingredients viz turmeric, lemon juice and salt. this is a Gujarati recipe of turmeric pickle and is often served with meals. Another pickle recipe from Gujarati cuisine on blog is this Methia keri recipe (mango pickle).
We have a Gujarati friend and one day when having lunch at her place, she served us two pickles. One with fresh turmeric roots and the other one with mango ginger roots (Ambe halad In marathi and aama haldi in hindi).
Those pickles were the simplest i have had with no spices and oil. I loved both of them and so had decided that when I get fresh turmeric roots or mango ginger, I will make this pickle. I did not ask her for the recipes though.
Since I have a good collection of cookbooks, I read a pickle recipe which had ginger, turmeric and mango ginger in a cook book -“Gujarati kitchen: Family recipes for the global palate” by bhanu hajratwala. So I loosely adapted this recipe from there. The book has some non vegetarian recipes too.
To make this turmeric pickle No cooking is involved and you just need to mix everything. The only prepping work you need to do is peel and chop the fresh turmeric roots. You can even slice the turmeric. Squeeze the lemon juice and then you are almost done with the pickle. The turmeric stains everything yellow… Even your hands. So avoid using anything white like a white board or white napkin.
Then just mix the chopped turmeric, lemon juice and salt together in a bowl or directly in the jar. Close the jar and keep the pickle for six days in the refrigerator. After 6 days, the pickle is ready to serve.
During the 6 days, shake the jar once everyday and keep back in the refrigerator. The lemon juice should completely cover the turmeric, otherwise the pickle may get spoiled.
You can also add ginger or mango ginger with the turmeric. To spice up green chilies can also be added.
The turmeric pickle can be served as a condiment before meals to aid digestion and also during the meals. this turmeric pickle stays good for about 2 months in the refrigerator.
If you are looking for more Pickle recipes then do check:
Please be sure to rate this recipe in the recipe card below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Fresh Turmeric Pickle Recipe | Kachche Haldi Ka Achar
- 250 gram fresh turmeric roots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large lemons - yields a bit more than ½ cup lemon juice or add more if required
- Firstly, rinse the turmeric roots in water.
- Then, peel and chop them into small pieces.
- Extract the juice from the lemons and keep aside.
- In a bowl, add the turmeric pieces, salt and lemon juice. Stir well.
- Spoon everything in a clean sterilized jar.
- Close the jar with its lid and keep it in the refrigerator for 6 days.
- Shake the jar everyday. After 6 days, the pickle will be ready to serve.
- Serve a very small portion, about 3/4 to 1 teaspoon of the Fresh Turmeric Pickle with any indian meal.
- This Kachche Haldi Ka Achar stays good for about 2 months in the refrigerator.