This No Oil Mango Pickle is a Punjabi style sweet and sour pickle recipe made without green unripe mangoes, jaggery and spices. The spices added are nigella seeds, fenugreek seeds and red chilli powder.
It is an easy, simple no fuss sweet and sour mango pickle without oil and tastes good with roti, paratha, stuffed paratha and even simple dal-rice. You can just have it plain or straight from the jar.
Two ways of making this pickle
- Cook everything together or keep the pickle in sunlight for 2 to 3 days.
- Both ways the jaggery that is used in the pickle thickens a bit. If you cook you will get a softer texture of mangoes. If you keep in the sun then the mangoes will have a little crispness to them. You decide how you would love to make this pickle.
- I kept the mango pickle in the sun for 3 days and what I got was a sweet, spicy, sour pickle with somewhat crisp mango pieces that had absorbed all the flavors of the spices.
✓ A no oil pickle recipe. My suggestion is to keep this pickle in the refrigerator as no oil is added. Yet the jaggery and spices do help in preserving the pickle. Though still better to keep in the refrigerator. Make sure you use clean utensils and a clean sterilized bottle to store the mango pickle.
✓ A very easy recipe.
✓ Mix everything and keep the pickle mixture in sunlight for 3 to 4 days.
How to make no oil mango pickle with jaggery
1: Firstly wash and wipe dry the raw unripe green mangoes. Peel the skin and chop the mangoes into bite-sized pieces or small pieces. Collect these in a steel or ceramic bowl. Discard the seeds.
2: Now add nigella seeds, fenugreek seeds, red chilli powder, salt and jaggery. You can even add sugar instead of jaggery.
3: Mix very well. The jaggery will melt and the whole mixture will look watery. Keep in the sun for 2 to 3 days till the jaggery syrup thickens and the mango pieces tenderize a bit. While keeping in sunlight, cover the bowl with a fine sieve or a thin muslin cloth, so that dust etc does not fall on the pickle. Instead of drying in the sun you can also just cook everything together till most of the water is evaporated and the syrup has a sticky consistency but not a thread consistency – like one thread or two thread.
4: This is a close-up pic of the pickle on the 3rd day. I kept for 3 days in the sun.
5: After sun-drying store it in a clean or sterilized glass jar.
6. Keep the no oil mango pickle in a cool dark place or keep in the refrigerator. Enjoy the sweet and sour pickle just plain or with any meal like dal khichdi or veg pulao or veg dum biryani. This no oil aam ka achar is also excellent with roti, paratha, stuffed paratha and even simple dal-rice.
Please be sure to rate this recipe in the recipe card below if you have made it. For more vegetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
No Oil Sweet & Sour Mango Pickle
- 3 to 4 small to medium size raw mangoes, rinsed, peeled and chopped, approximate 3.5 to 4 cups of chopped mangoes
- 1 tablespoon nigella seeds or onion seeds (kalonji)
- ½ tablespoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1 to 1.5 cup powdered jaggery or sugar – add more if required
- salt as required
- Firstly, wash and wipe dry the raw mangoes.
- Peel and chop the mangoes into bite-size or small pieces. Discard the seeds.
- Collect the mango pieces in a steel or ceramic bowl.
- Now, add nigella seeds or onion seeds, fenugreek seeds, red chili powder, salt and jaggery. Mix well.
- The jaggery will melt and the mixture will look watery.
- Keep in the sun for 2 to 3 days till the jaggery syrup thickens and the mango pieces tenderize a bit. While in sunlight, cover the bowl with a fine sieve or a thin muslin cloth, so that dust, etc. does not fall on the pickle.
- Instead of drying in the sun, you can also cook everything together till most of the moisture has evaporated and you get a sticky consistency in the sugar syrup.
- Store this sweet Mango Pickle in a clean, sterilized jar.
- Keep the pickle in a cool dark place or refrigerate it.
- Enjoy the No Oil Sweet & Sour Mango Pickle plain or with your meals.