Mushroom stir fry recipe with step by step photos. One pot dishes are the best fix for days when you don’t have the energy to go elaborate in cooking. This One Pot Indian Style Mushroom Stir Fry is just one such mushroom recipe that gets done in the most fuss-free way. The recipe is also vegan friendly.
I get a lot of requests to post recipes that are quick to make and do not take long hours of cooking. I will be adding such recipes that can be made quickly, but without compromising on the health factor and using fresh ingredients.
This recipe of mushroom stir fry is one I make at times along with the Mushroom fry and Garlic butter mushroom. These three recipes are my savior recipes on days when I do not have the luxury of time to cook an elaborate meal. Usually I have wheat dough in the fridge, so after the mushrooms are cooked, I make phulkas and prepare a quick veggie salad.
There are various ways and methods through which a stir fry recipe can be made. There are many variations possible. There are different recipes for stir-fries like Chinese, Thai, Malaysian and so on.
I have also posted the recipe of Mushroom pepper fry which is a spicy recipe of mushrooms with black pepper.
This particular mushroom stir fry recipe is Indian style and uses basic ingredients that are easily available in an Indian kitchen. Everything is cooked in one pot or pan.
All the prep work, you need to do is slice the onions, green chilies and chop the mushrooms. The rest of the cooking is just stir-frying or sauteing the ingredients in a pan.
This Mushroom Stir Fry tastes best with chapatis, parathas or any bread. You can also use it as a stuffing in sandwiches, wraps and rolls. The recipe can be easily scaled as per your requirements.
How to make Mushroom Stir Fry
1. Heat 1.5 to 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan. Then add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds. You can also crush the cumin seeds lightly in a mortar-pestle and then add.
2. Add sliced onions.
3. Stir and begin to saute the onions on a low to medium heat.
4. Saute the onions stirring often till they turn translucent or light brown.
5. Then add the chopped or sliced white button mushrooms. You can wipe the mushrooms with a clean kitchen towel and then chop or you can rinse them and then chop.
I take each mushroom and rinse it well to remove the mud particles. Then slice the stalk a bit and chop the mushrooms. I also slice bruised part if any in the mushrooms.
6. Mix the mushrooms with the onions. Begin to saute or stir fry on a medium to high heat.
7. Keep on stirring the mushrooms at intervals. The mushrooms will release water first.
8. Continue to cook, till all the water dries up.
9. After the water has dried, continue to saute till the mushrooms look glossy as well as they are slightly browned from the edges.
10. Even if they are not lightly browned, they should be cooked well.
11. Now add the following ingredients:
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder or about 2 to 3 pinches
- ½ teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 green chili (sliced or chopped)
12. Mix the spices very well with the mushrooms.
13. Season with salt as per taste.
14. Mix the salt with the stir fried mushrooms. Saute for a minute then switch off the heat. Lastly add 2 tablespoons of coriander leaves and mix again very well.
15. Serve mushroom stir fry hot with chapatis, paratha or bread. You can also make sandwiches or wraps with this mushroom stuffing.
More Tasty Mushroom recipes
Please be sure to rate the recipe in the recipe card or leave a comment below if you have made it. For more veetarian inspirations, Sign Up for my emails or follow me on Instagram, Youtube, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter.
Mushroom Stir Fry
- 200 to 250 grams white button mushrooms, rinsed and chopped
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoon oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds – crushed lightly
- 2 medium sized onions or 130 to 135 grams onions, thinly sliced
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder or about 2 to 3 pinches turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder (ground coriander)
- 1 green chili – sliced or chopped
- salt as per taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
- Slice 2 medium sized onions. You will need 130 to 135 grams thinly sliced onions.
- Also chop or sliced white button mushrooms. you can wipe the mushrooms with a clean kitchen towel and then chop or you can rinse them in water and then chop.
- I take each mushroom and rinse it well to remove the mud particles. Then slice the stalk a bit and chop the mushrooms. I also slice bruised part if any in the mushrooms.
making indian style mushroom stir fry
- Heat 1.5 to 2 tbsp oil in a pan. Then add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds. You can also crush the cumin seeds lightly in a mortar-pestle and then add.
- Add sliced onions.
- On a low to medium flame saute the onions till they turn translucent or light brown.
- Then add the chopped or sliced white button mushrooms.
- Mix the mushrooms with the onions and begin to saute or stir fry on a medium to high flame.
- Keep on stirring the mushrooms at intervals. The mushrooms will release water first.
- Continue to cook, till all the water dries up and the mushrooms look glossy as well as they are slightly browned from the edges. Even if they are not browned, the water should dry up in the pan and the mushrooms should be cooked well.
- Now add the following ingredients – 1/8 tsp turmeric powder or about 2 pinches, 1/2 tsp kashmiri red chili powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, 1 tsp coriander powder & 1 green chili, sliced or chopped.
- Mix the spices very well with the mushrooms. season with salt as per taste.
- Mix the salt with the stir fried mushrooms. Saute for a minute then switch off the flame.
- Lastly add 2 tbsp coriander leaves and mix again very well.
- Serve indian style mushroom stir fry with chapatis, parathas or bread.
- This recipe can be easily doubled.
Nutrition Info (Approximate Values)
This Mushroom Stir Fry post from the archives, originally published in April 2016 has been updated and republished on January 2023.
Excellent recipe.tasted wonderful.first tym I tried something other than gravy or briyani.thanks for the recipe
thanks indhu and glad to know that you liked this indian style mushroom fry recipe.
its simple and nice. Is there any way to print the recipie
Thanks NK. In the recipe card there is print button below the photo.
Today i tried this recipe nd d kids liked it vry much. Thnks to u for sharing these recipes
nice to know gurmeet and thanks for the feedback.
it was very tasty and easy to prepare
with less masala
thank you for your positive feeback 🙂
tried this recipie today and it turned out awesome! thank you so much foe simplifying indian recipies. I love this app and all the recipies
pleased to know this ashira 🙂 thankyou for your positive feedback also glad to know you like our app.
i tried this recipe..and it tasted really gud..thanks
thankyou leena for your positive feedback 🙂
Please tell me how we clean/ wash the mushrooms before cooking?
immerse the mushroom in water for 10 mins then wash individually each mushroom under running tap. Then wipe with a cloth hope this process helps you in washing mushroom.
This recipe i tried and its yummy!! Thanks for posting the lovely recipes!!
I have 1.5 years old son, could you please post few recipes of Ragi? and also what all millets can we eat in summers?
thanks neha. will try to add some more ragi recipes. i know only of jowar/sorghum being good during summers. i have never tried other millets in summers.
looking very yummy…i m gonna try it…
sure sumita and thankyou.
Hey! I love your recipes. I had a question regarding this one. Can I substitute mushroom with paneer?
TIA! Keep up the good work!
yes akshatha you could 🙂 and thankyou.