khatta meetha kaddu recipe with step by step photos – this sweet sour pumpkin is one of the easiest sabzi recipe that is made with kaddu or pumpkin. in hindi khatta means sour and meetha mean sweet. the sourness coming from dry mango powder and the sweetness coming from sugar/jaggery as well as pumpkin.
in religious fasting recipes, some communities use dry mango powder and some don’t. if you don’t use dry mango powder or amchur during the navratri fasts, then add tamarind pulp or lemon juice instead.
the fasting rules varies from community to community. its always better to check with elders while trying new recipes for religious fasting days. for readers benefit, i have made this list of navratri food rules which covers the list of ingredients commonly used for fasting in india.
i have also made this khatta meetha kaddu recipe with dry mango powder or amchur, since we were fasting. but the sourness is more pronounced with tamarind pulp, than with mango powder. this pumpkin dish has to be balanced with the right notes of sweetness and sourness. so keeping on adding few teaspoons of the tamarind pulp till you get the right balance in the dish.
if you are looking for more fasting recipes then do check:
khatta meetha kaddu
INGREDIENTS FOR khatta meetha kaddu
- 2 cups pumpkin (kaddu or petha)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder) or as required- i added ½ teaspoon amchur as i am using a really strong organic amchur powder. so add as required depending on the quality of the amchur powder
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil (mungphali ka tel)
- 1 to 2 teaspoon sugar or as required
- rock salt or sendha namak or upwas ka namak as required
- coriander leaves for garnishing
HOW TO MAKE khatta meetha kaddu
- rinse, peel and chop the pumpkin.
- heat oil in a pan. crackle the cumin seeds first.
- add the pumpkin, sugar and salt.
- stir and cover the pan and simmer the pumpkin pieces till they are softened and cooked well.
- there is no need to add water as the pumpkin will get cooked by its own juices.
- in case the water dries up, then add about 2-3 tablespoon water and cook the pumpkin.
- keep on checking at intervals and if the water continues to dry, then add a few tbsp water again.
- the pumpkin should not get mushy.
- once the pumpkin is cooked well then add the dry mango powder and simmer for a minute.
- lastly season with roasted cumin powder and black pepper powder.
- garnish with coriander leaves and serve the khatta meetha kaddu with kuttu ki roti, amaranth pooris or singhare ki poori.
preparation to make khatta meetha kaddu
1. rinse and chop the pumpkin (kaddu) in small cubes. you will be needing 2 cups of chopped pumpkin cubes or pieces. you can keep the skin of pumpkin, if you want or you can peel it. i have not removed the skin
2. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making khatta meetha kaddu.
making khatta meetha kaddu
3. in a pan heat 1 tablespoon peanut oil (moongphali ka tel). keep the flame to a low and then add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera). let them crackle.
4. then add the 2 cups chopped pumpkin (kaddu).
5. next add 1 to 2 teaspoon sugar (or as required). also add sendha namak (rock salt) as required.
6. mix well.
7. cover the pan and simmer on a low flame till the pumpkin pieces are softened and cooked well. there is no need to add water as the pumpkin will get cooked by its own juices.
8. do check in between and stir. in case the water dries up and pumpkin starts sticking to the pan, then add about 2 to 3 tablespoon water and cook the pumpkin.
9. keep on checking at intervals and if the water continues to dry, then add a few tablespoons water again. the pumpkin should be cooked well but not get mushy.
10. once the pumpkin has softened and cooked well, then add ½ teaspoon mango powder (amchur) or as required.
11. stir well and simmer for a minute.
12. lastly add ¼ teaspoon roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder) and ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (kali mirch powder).
13. stir and mix very well.
14. garnish khatta meetha kaddu sabzi with coriander leaves (dhania patta).