this chocolate banana carrot cake is rich and dense. i have frosted the cake with chocolate icing and it was worth the effort i put in frosting the cake.
this cake recipe was in the drafts for a long time. what better time than to post now on the occasion of christmas.
this chocolate banana carrot cake is again an eggless and a dairy free cake recipe. here i have used banana & carrot puree in the cake and this what makes it a dense cake. the flavors and taste of banana and carrot is not evident as the chocolate overpowers them.
i have used only all purpose flour in this cake recipe. but you can make it with half-half of whole wheat and all purpose flour. with the bananas and carrots in the cake, all i can say is that this is a healthy cake.
before moving on to the recipe details, i would like to share that i was featured in the recent december 12 issue of the smart life magazine. this is a monthly magazine from the manorama group of publications. if you can get a copy in your city, then do read.
you might also love to check these egg free cake recipes:
- eggless vanilla cake
- black forest cake
- eggless fruit cake
- eggless chocolate cake
- how to make cake without oven
chocolate banana carrot cake
INGREDIENTS FOR chocolate banana carrot cake
for the cake
- 4 medium size bananas
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1.75 cup all purpose flour (maida)
- ¾ cup demerara sugar or powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup water or milk
- ½ cup oil or melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or ½ teaspoon vanilla powder
- a pinch of salt
for the chocolate icing
- 125 grams dark chocolate
- ½ cup oil or butter
- some icing sugar or powdered sugar as required (optional)
HOW TO MAKE chocolate banana carrot cake
making chocolate banana carrot cake
- grease and prepare a 6-7 inches diameter round cake pan.
- preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius or 356 degrees fahrenheit.
- seive the flour with the salt, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda.
- puree the bananas and carrot together in a blender.
- mix the liquid ingredients together i.e the banana-carrot puree, water and oil.
- add demerara sugar to this liquid mixture and mix well.
- now add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients.
- add the vanilla extract or vanilla powder.
- mix very well and uniformly.
- pour into a greased pan.
- bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees celsius or or 356 degrees fahrenheit, for 35-40 minutes or until done.
- when the cake is baking we can prepare the icing and keep it ready.
making the chocolate icing
- chop the chocolate.
- in a pan on a double boiler melt the chocolate with the oil.
- just let the chocolate melt. don't overcook.
- stir and mix well,
- let this mixture cool.
- you can also microwave both the chocolate and oil on medium powder till the chocolate begins to melt.
- when you remove from the microwave, the chocolate would be still melting.
- just mix the icing well and if you see pieces of chocolate, then again microwave for some seconds or a minute.
- if you want you can add some icing sugar to the frosting mixture. add the sugar when you are melting the chocolate.
icing the cake
- when the cake cool down, then remove it from the pan.
- spread the chocolate icing directly with a palette knife on the top of the cake.
- you can also pour the icing into a piped bag and do the icing on the cake.
- refrigerating the chocolate banana carrot cake along with the icing, makes the icing settle on the cake and forms a thick layer.
1. instead of oil you can use butter.
2. instead of water you can use milk - dairy milk or cashew, almond or soy milk.
3. the mixing of the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients have to be done properly. if not done properly, then the cake does is not even in texture and does not rise well.