Collection of 25 vegetarian biryani recipes – biryani is a one pot meal full of flavor and taste. there are many types of biryani’s cooked in India.
There is Hyderabadi biryani, Lucknowi biryani, Mughlai biryani, Kashmiri biryani, Kerala biryani and so on. There are many variations of the same type of biryani also. E.g. The Mughlai biryani will have many variations.
Making biryani needs time and patience as its an elaborate dish and needs lot of preparation and hard work. Once you get to eat a well prepared biryani then you will not complain about the lengthy process of making the biryani.
An authentic vegetable biryani is always slow cooked on dum. This cooking on dum gives the biriyani its uniqueness and originality. This is how the biryani has the beautiful medley of the aromas, flavors and tastes caused by the blending of the ingredients used in making it.
Most biryani recipes can be served with accompanying raita or salad or a gravy dish like shorba gravy or bagara baingan or mirchi ka salan or plain curd.
In this post, I am sharing biryani varieties which I have posted in my blog. Out of them the most popular biryani recipe on the blog is hyderbadi veg biryani recipe.
You can also check these Popular recipes collections
Collection of 25 Vegetarian biryani recipes
1. Hyderabadi veg dum biryani – a vegetable biryani recipe from the land of the nawabs – Hyderabad. This is the most popular biryani recipe on my blog. Many readers have tried this recipe and given positive feedback. The veg biryani is light, aromatic and deliciously yum…. Its a step by step recipe covering the elaborate process of making this biryani in detail.
2. Paneer biryani – mildly spiced and delicious dum cooked layered paneer biryani. here I have just marinated the paneer cubes, layered with cooked rice and then dum cooked. So no gravy is made before. The paneer cubes do not become dense or hard as we are not cooking them twice.
3. Mushroom biryani – spicy vegetarian biryani with mushrooms from the Chettinad cuisine.
4. Ambur biryani – a vegetarian version of the famous biryani from Ambur. Ambur is a town in the Vellore district of Tamil Nadu and its biryani is very famous. Apart from mushrooms you can also use soy chunks, tofu or mix veggies.
5. Mughlai biryani – mild and lightly spiced biryani with mixed veggies and dry fruits.
6. Kuska biryani or kuska rice – South Indian style spiced flavorful biryani rice served as an accompaniment with a gravy dish.
7. Awadhi biryani – aromatic, light, mild and a subtle flavored Lucknowi biryani recipe. all the spices, flavorings, gets blended very well with each other in this dish. If you are a biryani lover, then you should try Awadhi biryani.
8. Restaurant style vegetable dum biryani – an aromatic, lightly spiced Vegetable dum biryani, restaurant style. the flavors of the freshly ground spices as well as the caramelized/browned onions are a hallmark in this biryani and brings out the best in the whole dish.
9. Veg biryani in pressure cooker – easy recipe method of a Biryani made in pressure cooker. no pre cooking of veggies and rice.
10. Tomato biryani – one pot spiced South Indian style tomato biryani recipe. Unlike the regular biryanis, this tomato biryani recipe is not layered and dum cooked. The entire recipe is made in a thick bottomed pot or pan. Covered with a tight fitting lid and slow cooked.
11. Gobi biryani – one pot recipe of a dum cooked South Indian style cauliflower biryani. This biryani is dum cooked but not layered.
12. Kerala biryani – delicately spiced and fragrant mild vegetable biryani made with coconut milk. overall the Kerala biryani is much milder and less in heat since it has less spices than the Tamil Nadu or Hyderabadi veg biryani. Along with the spices, herbs, cashews and raisins the biryani is mild, delicately balanced in flavors and has a light sweet taste. Again one of the best biryanis. An elaborate process of making this biryani, but worth it. Trust me on that. Step by step recipe.
13. Dindigul biryani – easy to prepare vegetarian version of the Dindigul biryani made with mushrooms.
14. Easy paneer biryani in pressure cooker – this easy and delicious paneer biryani is layered and has the flavors of a dum cooked biryani.
15. Kolkata style veg biryani recipe – a light and flavourful version of biryani from the Bengali cuisine. Kolkata biryani is derived from the Lucknowi biryani and different from the Hyderabadi veg biryani or South Indian versions of biryanis. This version is mildly spiced and light.
16. Kashmiri biryani – a no onion no garlic biryani from the Kashmiri pandit cuisine. here Hing or asafoetida plays an important role in substituting the flavor of onions and garlic. also the fried dry fruits mainly raisins add sweetness to the final dish. fennel powder and dry ginger powder also add their flavors as well as aroma along with the other whole spices.
17. Mushroom biryani in pressure cooker – easy and delicious recipe of mushroom biryani in pressure cooker with step by step photos. The biryani has dum cooked flavors.
18. Chole biryani – aromatic, spiced and a delicious dum cooked and layered biryani with white chickpeas.
19. Qabooli biryani or chana dal biryani – an aromatic and flavorsome biryani made with bengal gram (chana dal). the basmati rice, chana dal, yogurt and spices… when they all are cooked together in dum, the whole quality of this chana dal biryani changes to a royal feast.
20. Mushroom biryani e dum pukht – step by step recipe of mushroom dum biryani. Here birista or crisp fried onions add a great deal of flavor, aroma and taste to the biryani. The biryani also has curd, mint leaves along with the usual Indian whole garam masala. Vegetables, paneer can also be added instead of mushrooms.
21. Palak biryani or spinach biryani – this recipe of palak biryani is one easy biryani recipe. if you have spinach and want an easy as well as satisfying meal, then do make this green spinach biryani… lightly spiced and aromatic.
22. South Indian Mushroom Biryani – This biryani is spicy and hot and with full flavors of the mushrooms in it. An easy recipe of mushroom biryani.
23. Baby Potato Biryani – dum biryani made with small potatoes. this is a simple biryani without the use of dry fruits or expensive ingredients like saffron. For this biryani, you can also use regular potatoes instead of small potatoes.
24. Kathal biryani biryani – mildly spiced and subtly flavored meaty vegetarian biryani made with raw unripe jakcfruit.
25. Mumbai Biryani – aromatic and spiced Bombay dum vegetable biryani.
26. Mangalorean Style Biryani – this is a spicy vegetable biryani with robust flavors. There is no layering involved in the biryani. Like most South Indian biryanis this recipe is one pot and cooked in steam or dum.
27. South Indian style veg biryani recipe – spiced one pot recipe of vegetable biryani made in pressure cooker with step by step photos.
28. Seviyan biryani – semiya biryani is a lesser known but delicious biryani variety from the Rajasthani cuisine. In this biryani, instead of rice, seviyan (vermicelli) is used. The biryani has a unique flavor and taste as yakhni (veg stock) is used while dum cooking.