vegetable hakka noodles recipe with step by step photos – a popular indo chinese dish that one can get in most restaurants in india and in the roadside chinese street food joints. hakka noodles is not only popular with kids, but also with grown ups.
the veggies added to hakka noodles have to really chopped fine or cut into julienne as all the stir frying is done at a high heat. make sure to use pan with handles, so that you keep on moving the pan when tossing and stir frying the noodles.
to get an authentic taste, as always i recommend two ingredients – celery and rice vinegar. makes a lot of difference to the final dish. many readers ask me what is celery and where to get it.
celery is a herb that is easily available in most super stores and super markets in the indian metros. you can also grow celery in a pot. either buy the plant from a nursery or plant the seeds. best way is to chop the celery from its base and plant the base in the soil. here is a shrub of celery from my balcony herb garden. more info here on wikipedia.
rice vinegar is also easily available in most major indian cities. i started using rice vinegar recently while making chinese food and felt that it gives a distinct flavor and aroma to the recipe.
so if you don’t have celery, just skip it. if you don’t have rice vinegar, add rice wine or the easily available white vinegar. also make sure to use a good quality soy sauce.
the vegetables can be of your choice. here i have used mushrooms, carrots and french beans. i forgot to add bell pepper/capsicum and remembered when the noodles were half done. you can also add finely shredded cabbage.
lets start step by step veg hakka noodles recipe:
1. first finely chop all the veggies and keep aside.
2. boil enough water in a pot or pan with some salt and a few drops of oil.
3. add the hakka noodles.
4. cook the hakka noodles according to the package instructions.
5. drain in a colander and rinse the noodles in running water very well. this method stops the cooking process and removes the starch.
6. add oil.
7. toss the noodles well, so that the oil gets coated evenly on the noodles. this method gets rid of stickiness from the noodles.
8. heat oil in a pan or wok. on medium heat, first saute the red chilies and garlic for about a minute.
9. increase the flame and then add the finely chopped spring onions, french beans. stir fry on a high heat for about 3 minutes.
10. add the mushrooms, carrots and celery and continue stir frying.
11. stir fry for about 5 to 6 minutes till the edges of the veggies start to slightly brown. i like the veggies to be cooked more, than what is the norm usually for this recipe. you can cut down on the stir frying time, if you prefer half cooked or more crunchy veggies.
12. add soy sauce and stir.
13. add the hakka noodles and keep on tossing and stir frying the noodles.
14. season with salt and black pepper and rice wine.
15. toss well again and stir fry for a minute. switch off the flame and add spring onion greens and mix well. or you can garnish the hakka noodles with spring onions while serving.
if you are looking for more indo chinese recipes then do check veg chow mein, schezwan noodles, veg noodles, vegetable fried rice, sesame veg toast, chilli baby corn gravy and mushroom fried rice recipe.
vegetable hakka noodles recipe below:
- 200 gms hakka noodles - 1 pack of hakka noodles
- 3 to 4 medium spring onions, finely chopped, reserve a few greens for garnish
- 1 small to medium carrot, finely chopped or julienned
- 8 to 10 french beans, finely chopped
- 4 to 5 button mushrooms, finely chopped * check notes
- 1 small to medium bell pepper - red, green or yellow, finely chopped or julienned
- 1.5 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 to 3 red chilies or green chilies, broken and deseeded
- 1 tsp finely chopped celery
- ¼ tsp rice vinegar or white vinegar or rice wine
- ½ tbsp naturally fermented soy sauce or add as required
- ½ tbsp oil for coating the noodles
- 2 tbsp oil for stir frying
- salt and pepper as required
- enough water to cook the noodles
- heat enough water in a pan with salt and a few drops of oil, till it comes to a boil.
- add the hakka noodles and cook according to the package instructions.
- when the noodles are cooking, rinse and chop all the veggies or you can chop the veggies before you start cooking the noodles.
- drain and rinse the noodles in running water, so that the noodles stop cooking.
- then add oil and gently mix, so that the oil gets evenly coated on the noodles.
- keep the noodles aside.
- heat oil in a wok or kadai or a pan.
- on medium heat, first add the dry red chilies and garlic.
- saute for a minute, then add the finely chopped spring onions and french beans
- increase the flame and stir fry for 3 minutes.
- add the mushrooms,carrots, bell pepper/capsicum & celery. stir fry all the veggies on a high flame till the veggies start getting slightly browned from the edges. this will take about 5 to 6 mins after adding the carrots.
- add soy sauce and stir.
- add the hakka noodles and toss it well and stir fry for a minute on high heat.
- season with salt and pepper. also add rice vinegar or white vinegar. continue to toss and cook the noodles on a high flame for a minute.
- toss the whole mixture well and the add the chopped spring onion greens or garnish the hakka noodles with spring onions while serving.
- serve hakka noodles plain or accompanied with veg manchurian curry or vegetables in hot and sour sauce.