here is a healthy one pot meal of vegetable dalia. basically dalia is this the hindi term for broken cereals. however, broken wheat is generally called as dalia in the north. broken wheat is used in india for making many sweet as well as savory dishes.
dalia is considered to be one of the simplest and healthy food, low in fat & cholesterol, high in iron & fibre, good in carbs. often recommended to growing up kids or people recovering from illness.
dalia is very easy to digest. in case your stomach is upset then dalia and moong dal khichdi are two recipes which are often recommended. many of us must have memories of having dalia and khichdi when recovering from illness.
this dish has a porridge like consistency. but some people make it slightly thick too. at home we generally have dalia accompanied with yogurt but it can be had plain too. you can have this dish as a breakfast too.
the vegetables i usually add in dalia are carrots, peas, potatoes, onions, cauliflowers, french beans and tomatoes. for a punch you can also little capsicum also. peas and potatoes are often used in most vegetable dalia recipes. i make one pot meals like dalia, khichdi, veg pulao when i have less time to cook.
some folks don’t like the bland taste of dalia as this is usually prepared for people recovering from sickness. otherwise, if you plan to serve dalia to a healthy person then you can make the dalia little spicy as well as flavorful.
vegetable dalia recipe details below:
- 1 cup dalia/broken wheat
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 1 or 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped potatoes
- ½ cup shelled green peas/fresh or frozen
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oil or ghee
- salt as required
- heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker.
- splutter the cumin first in the hot oil.
- add chopped onions and saute till they become transparent.
- now add chopped ginger, green chilies and saute for some seconds
- add tomato and saute for 1 minute.
- now add all the veggies and saute for 2 minutes.
- keep stirring
- rinse the dalia and add to the veggies.
- stir for 3-4 minutes.
- add 4 cups water and salt
- stir and pressure cook for 10-12 whistles till the dalia is cooked well.
- if the dalia has not cooked completely, then add some more water and pressure cook for a few whistles more or cook without the lid till they are softened and you get a porridge like consistency.
- garnish vegetable dalia with coriander leaves and serve hot or warm.
Follow us on Social Media