vegetable dalia recipe with step by step photos – here is a healthy and delicious one pot meal of vegetable dalia khichdi. basically dalia is this the hindi term for broken cereals. however, broken wheat is generally called as dalia in the north. broken wheat is used in india for making many sweet as well as savory dishes. i have also shared sweet dalia recipe.
dalia is considered to be one of the simplest and healthy food, low in fat & cholesterol, high in iron & fibre, good in carbs. often recommended to growing up kids or people recovering from illness.
dalia is very easy to digest. in case your stomach is upset then dalia and moong dal khichdi are two recipes which are often recommended. many of us must have memories of having dalia and khichdi when recovering from illness.
this dish has a porridge like consistency. but some people make it slightly thick too. at home we generally have dalia accompanied with yogurt but it can be had plain too. you can have this dish as a breakfast too.
the vegetables i usually add in dalia khichdi are carrots, peas, potatoes, onions, cauliflowers, french beans and tomatoes. for a punch you can also little capsicum also. peas and potatoes are often used in most vegetable dalia recipes. you can also add some moong dal in this dalia khichdi recipe. add the moong dal when you add the dalia. i make one pot meals like dalia, khichdi, veg pulao when i have less time to cook.
some folks don’t like the bland taste of dalia as this is usually prepared for people recovering from sickness. otherwise, if you plan to serve dalia to a healthy person then you can make the dalia khichdi little spicy as well as flavorful.
vegetable dalia recipe card below:
vegetable dalia khichdi recipe - healthy indian porridge made with broken wheat or cracked wheat.
- 1 cup dalia (broken wheat or cracked wheat)
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, finely chopped (adrak)
- 1 or 2 green chilies, finely chopped (hari mirch)
- 1 medium sized tomato, finely chopped (tamatar)
- ½ cup chopped carrots (gajar)
- ½ cup chopped potatoes (aloo)
- ½ cup green peas, fresh or frozen (matar)
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- 1 tablespoon oil or ghee
- salt as required
heat oil or ghee in a pressure cooker.
splutter 1 teaspoon cumin first in the hot oil.
add 1 chopped onion and saute till they become translucent.
now add 1 inch finely chopped ginger and 1 to 2 finely chopped green chilies. saute for some seconds or till the aroma of ginger goes away.
add 1 finely chopped tomato and saute for 1 minute.
now add ½ cup chopped potatoes, ½ cup chopped carrots and ½ cup of green peas (fresh or frozen). saute for 2 minutes on low flame. keep stirring at intervals.
rinse the dalia and add to the veggies. stir for 3 to 4 minutes.
add 4 cups water and salt as required. stir and pressure cook for 10-12 whistles or till the dalia is cooked well. timing will vary depending upon quality of dalia.
if the dalia has not cooked completely, then add some more water and pressure cook for a few whistles more or cook without the lid till they are softened and you get a porridge like consistency.
garnish vegetable dalia with coriander leaves and serve hot or warm.
how to make dalia khichdi or vegetable dalia recipe:
1. chop all the veggies. measure and keep all the ingredients ready for making vegetable dalia.
2. in a pressure cooker, heat 1 tablespoon oil or ghee. add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds in the hot oil and let them crackle.
3. then add 1 medium sized onion which is chopped finely .
4. saute till the onions become translucent.
5. then add 1 inch finely chopped ginger and 1 to 2 finely chopped green chilies.
6. saute for some seconds or till the raw aroma of ginger goes away.
7. add 1 medium sized finely chopped tomato.
8. saute for 1 minute.
9. now add ½ cup of chopped potatoes, ½ cup of chopped carrots and ½ cup of green peas (fresh or frozen).
10. saute for 2 minutes on low flame. keep stirring at intervals.
11. meanwhile rinse 1 cup dalia in water using a fine strainer.
12. drain the water and keep the dalia aside. you can rinse the dalia before preparing but it hardly takes time to rinse and strain the water.
13. add the rinsed dalia to the veggies. saute for 3 to 4 minutes.
14. add 4 cups water and salt as required.
15. stir well.
16. pressure cook for 10 to 12 whistles or till the dalia is cooked well. timing depends upon quality of dalia. so it will vary.
17. if the dalia has not cooked completely, then add some more water and pressure cook for a few whistles more or cook without the lid till they are softened and you get a porridge like consistency.
18. once done, garnish vegetable dalia with coriander leaves and serve dalia hot or warm.