turmeric milk recipe with step by step photos. haldi wala doodh or turmeric milk is a healthy indian drink made with just two ingredients – milk and turmeric powder. this is a traditional age old remedy for fever, cold and cough and is still practiced widely in most indian homes.
we have been drinking turmeric milk since our growing up years. this drink is known to build immunity and fight against illness, cold or whenever you need to boost your immunity. turmeric is well known in ayurveda for its health benefits. it is believed that drinking turmeric milk before going to sleep keeps all sickness at bay.
with so many health benefits of turmeric, you will be thinking how to include it in your diet. in indian cooking, we often add turmeric powder to many curries and dry veggie preparation. you can also check this fresh turmeric pickle recipe made with raw fresh turmeric (kachche haldi).
i am sharing here the recipe for turmeric milk which i have been making for many years now. i just add turmeric powder in hot milk, stir and serve. we do not have it sweet, as we are used to having it without the addition of any sweetener. but if you like the milk to be sweet, then add some sugar. though adding sugar is entirely optional. some people also make turmeric milk with fresh turmeric roots. i always use turmeric powder. here i have used organic turmeric powder for this recipe.
turmeric milk recipe card below:
- 250 ml milk or 1 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder (haldi)
- heat 1 cup of milk in a saucepan/vessel on a low to medium flame.
- simmer the milk for 2 to 3 mins or until it boils. once the milk starts boiling, then switch off the flame.
- pour the hot milk in a glass or mug.
- add 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- stir and mix very well
- serve turmeric milk hot or warm.
- if you like the milk to be sweet then you could add 1 teaspoon of sugar to turmeric milk but its optional. kids would like to have turmeric milk with little bit of sugar added to it.
- the recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
how to make turmeric milk recipe:
1. heat 1 cup of milk in a saucepan on a low to medium flame.
3. pour the hot milk in a glass or mug.
5. stir and mix very well. serve turmeric milk hot or warm. it is best to drink the milk hot or warm.
don’t let it cool down completely but also no need to burn the tongue. so drink the milk warm or at whatever temperature it suits you.