mushroom & peas curry recipe with step by step photos – here’s a rich and delicious recipe of south indian mushroom and peas curry. the curry is full on with flavors of coconut & cashews along with the flavors of mushrooms and peas.
both mushrooms and peas are favorite veggies at home, so their combo is always welcome. usually i make a simple semi dry dish with mushrooms and peas in the typical north indian style, bhunaoing/sauting the onion and tomatoes with the rest of the spices. for the first time i made this curry and it was great.
this mushroom & peas curry recipe has been adapted from jiggs kalra’s – prashad – cooking with indian masters. in the book the dish is called as bataani kaal kari, where bataani is the telugu word for peas. in tamil language this curry would be called pattani kalan curry.
basically the mushroom curry is a korma curry. thus goes very well with plain steamed rice. i had made jeera rice to go along with it, but later realized both the mushroom & peas curry and jeera rice together were not a good combination.
the aromatic jeera rice was overpowering the subtle taste of the coconut and cashew in the curry. so when you make this south indian curry serve either with steamed rice or rotis-chapatis or the kerala paratha or a plain paratha. most of the recipes i post are often in the step by step format. so is this curry. so enjoy the pics.
mushroom & peas curry recipe below:
- 200-250 gms mushrooms
- 1 cup shelled or frozen peas/matar
- ½ inch ginger/adrak and 3 garlic/lahsun - crushed or made into a paste
- 1 medium size onion/pyaaz, finely chopped
- 1 medium size tomato/tamatar, chopped
- ½ cup grated coconut and 7-8 cashews ground to paste
- ¾ tsp red chilli powder/lal mirch powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 1 tsp coriander powder/dhania power
- ¾ tsp garam masala powder
- ¾ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal/split & skinned black gram
- 1 sprig of curry leaves - about 10-12 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp oil for the curry and 1 tbsp oil for sauting the mushrooms.
- 2 to 2.5 cups stock or water or both
- salt as required
- boil the peas. strain and keep aside. reserve the stock if using fresh peas.
- heat 1 tbsp oil. saute mushrooms in the oil for 5-6 minutes and then keep aside.
- in another pan, add 2 tbsp oil. add the mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- then add the cumin, fenugreek and urad dal.
- fry till they the oil becomes aromatic and the dal gets browned. don't over brown or burn the dal. do this tempering on a low or medium flame.
- now add chopped onions. fry the onions till light brown,
- add the ginger-garlic paste or crushed ginger-garlic.
- fry till the raw smell of the ginger-garlic goes away.
- now add all the dry spice powders - coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder.
- stir and then add chopped tomatoes. fry this whole mixture till oil starts to leave the sides.
- add the cashew-coconut paste along with curry leaves.
- stir for 2-3 minutes. add the stock which we reserved or add water about 2 to 2.5 cups.
- let the curry come to a boil. now add the mushrooms and peas.
- add salt, stir and let the mushroom peas curry simmer for 5-6 minutes more.
- serve mushroom peas curry hot, garnished with some coriander leaves.
You might also like to check these other Mushroom Recipes:
- Kadai Mushroom
- Spinach Mushroom Curry
- Mix Vegateble Korma Recipe
- South Indian Mushroom Biryani
- Methi Mushroom – Restaurant Style
- Mushroom Manchurian – Step by Step
- Indo Chinese – Quick Chilli Mushroom
step by step south indian mushroom peas curry recipe:
1: firstly begin to cook the shelled fresh peas in water. in winters fresh green peas are easily available 🙂
2: in the meantime, rinse and chop the mushrooms. then saute them in oil for 5-6 mins till they are cooked completely. keep the sauted mushrooms aside on a plate.
3: now the peas are still cooking…
4: once they get cooked completely, then drain and keep aside. reserve the stock for later to be added in the curry. if you want to use the stock then use fresh peas. if you are going to use frozen peas, then discard the stock. in this case add water to the curry later.
5: in a grinder or blender make a paste of cashews and grated fresh coconut with some water.
6: in a pan heat oil. fry the mustard seeds till they crackle. then fry the cumin, fenugreek seeds/methi and urad dal till fragrant and till the urad dal becomes golden brown.
7: now add the chopped onions.
8: and fry till light brown.
9: add ginger garlic paste or crushed ginger-garlic and fry till the raw smell of the ginger-garlic disappears.
10: add the spice powders and stir.
11: add chopped tomatoes.
12: fry the whole masala till the oil starts to leave the side of the mixture.
13: lower the flame & add the cashew-coconut paste along with some curry leaves.
14:stir the cashew-coconut paste for 2-3 minutes.
15: now add the peas stock or water.
16: let the curry come to a boil.
17: and then add the sauted mushrooms and cooked peas to the curry.
18: add salt & simmer for 5-6 minutes more.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media