pepper cumin rasam or milagu jeera rasam recipe - a spicy, tangy and hot rasam thats good during the winters.
i was having a terrible cold for the past few days. i made this rasam on one of these days. this rasam is excellent remedy for cough and cold.
the rasam recipe is easy and does not require rasam powder. i have added garlic in the rasam as it gives a good flavor. you can skip the garlic if you want to make a no onion no garlic version.
pepper cumin rasam recipe details below:
- 1 tbsp black pepper/kali mirch
- ½ tbsp cumin/jeera
- 2 dry red chilies, halved and deseeded
- lemon sized ball of tamarind soaked in 1 cup water
- 1 medium tomato, crushed or chopped
- 2 cups water
- salt as required
- ¾ tsp mustard seeds/sarson
- 12-15 curry leaves/kadi patta
- 7-8 garlic cloves/lahsun
- a generous pinch of asafoetida/hing
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- first just warm 1 cup water.
- soak the tamarind in the warm water for 25-30 mins.
- grind the black pepper, cumin and red chilies to a semi fine powder in a coffee grinder or dry grinder.
- extract the pulp from the tamarind by squeezing with your hands in the same bowl in which the tamarind was soaked.
- strain the tamarind pulp and keep aside.
- rinse the garlic with their skins on.
- wipe them dry.
- then just crush them lightly in a mortar-pestle.
- the lightly crushed skins add to the flavor in the rasam
- heat oil in a pan.
- add the mustard seeds and crackle them.
- then add the crushed garlic and fry for 4-5 seconds.
- add the curry leaves and asafoetida. fry for 8-10 seconds.
- add the ground powder and saute for a minute.
- now add chopped or crushed tomato and saute for about 2 minutes.
- add the tamarind pulp and stir.
- pour the 2 cups water. season with salt.
- stir and simmer the rasam on a low to medium flame till the tomatoes soften and are cooked thoroughly for about 12-15 minutes.
- you can adjust the consistency of rasam as per your choice.
- adding less water will make the pepper cumin rasam more tangy and hot and vice versa.
- lastly add some chopped coriander leaves to the rasam and stir.
- serve the pepper cumin rasam hot plain or accompanied with rice, sambar and a side vegetable south indian dish.