onion raita recipe with step by step photos – pyaaz ka raita is another simple, quick and cooling raita recipe for summers. raitas are often made as side dish in indian hot summers to beat the heat.
this raita is doubly cooling as both yogurt and onions are good for summers. onions are specially eaten to beat the ‘loo‘ (hot wind) of north india.
this onion raita recipe is made with just a few ingredients. on days when i do not have cucumber or tomatoes, i make this onion raita to go with our meals. pulao and biryani are usually served with an accompanying raita.
this recipe is a variation of the onion-tomato raita. i always add raw onions to the raita. the onions we get here are not pungent or strongly flavored. if you cannot tolerate the pungency of the onions, then just saute the onions in a bit of oil till they soften and then add them to the raita. you can also use the sweeter variety of onions.
i usually make raitas non spicy. this onion raita is spiced with ground cumin and black pepper. if you want a spicy raita with a touch of heat, then add chopped green chilies or red chili powder. instead of coriander leaves, you can also use mint leaves.
pyaaz ka raita or onion raita recipe below:
- 1 cup full fat fresh chilled curd/yogurt/dahi
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onions/pyaaz, about 1 medium to large onion
- ½ tsp roasted cumin powder/bhuna jeera powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder or red chilli powder/lal mirch powder
- black salt as required (i added ⅓ tsp), you can also add rock salt or regular salt
- 5-6 chopped mint leaves/ pudina patta or 1 tablespoon of coriander leaves/dhania ke patte
- few mint leaves or coriander leaves for garnishing
- whisk the curd/yogurt till smooth.
- then add the finely chopped onion and mix again.
- sprinkle ½ teaspoon cumin powder, ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder and salt as required. stir and mix well.
- add 1 tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves (or 5-6 mint leaves).
- mix well.
- while serving garnish with few mint or coriander leaves.
- serve the onion raita with your indian meals.
2. you could use mint leaves or coriander leaves for this raita.
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“. another option, is to occasionally show interest in our facebook page updates by liking, sharing or commenting in the facebook post. thanks for your continuous support and cooperation.
how to make pyaaz ka raita or onion raita recipe:
1. whisk the curd/dahi/yogurt till smooth.
5. mix well.
while serving garnish with few mint or coriander leaves. serve the onion raita with your indian meals.
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media