methi paratha recipe with step by step photos – methi paratha is a quick breakfast or a side accompaniment to any curry or sabzi.
these fenugreek flat bread are healthy alternative to plain parathas and packed with more flavors and nutrition.
fenugreek aka methi leaves is easily found in india and i often end up making lots of dishes from it. they can also be grown easily in your balcony or herb garden if you have one.
when living in bangalore, we would grow methi and there was never a shortage of methi for us. i would even add the tender sauted leaves to salads and make a variety of dishes from it like aloo methi, methi thepla, methi chole, methi dal, methi matar malai and methi pakoras.
methi parathas can be made easily. if you do not get methi leaves, then substitute spinach (palak). the taste will be different and the parathas won’t have the unique methi flavor, but nevertheless they will be healthy and nutritious.
another remarkable punch in the paratha is that of garlic. the methi and garlic blend so well with each other in these parathas. so you have both the awesome flavors of methi and garlic when you bite into the paratha.
this methi paratha recipe i learnt from one of our cooks. at home we make the parathas in a different way. since i am partial to this one, i thought of sharing the recipe.
these methi parathas can just be had plain with indian chai too. they are so good. they also make a good tiffin box snack and stay soft if packed in a foil. to take the step by step pics i have halved this recipe. the complete recipe will yield 8 to 10 parathas.
methi paratha recipe below:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour/atta
- 1 cup tightly packed fenugreek leaves/methi
- 1 or 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 7 to 8 small garlic cloves/lahsun, finely chopped or 1.5 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ cup water for kneading as required
- salt as required
- oil or ghee as required for roasting
- rinse the methi leaves well. drain them completely. chop the methi leaves finely and keep aside.
- in a bowl or parat mix the flour and salt. add the chopped methi leaves, green chilies, garlic, oil and mix.
- pour some water and knead to a smooth dough. make medium sized balls of the dough. roll the dough into medium sized rotis or rounds.
- on a tava or frying pan, cook the methi rotis or parathas with some oil or ghee till they are browned and cooked on both sides.
- these methi parathas have to be cooked like the way we cook parathas on the pan.
- serve methi paratha hot with some pickle or raita. you can also stack them in a roti basket or casserole and serve then warm or at room temperature later.
Update: due to recent policies of facebook, many of you are not getting update from Veg Recipes of India facebook page. to keep getting updates, kindly go to our facebook page and click on “Liked” option and then select “See First” option under the drop down menu “IN YOUR NEWS FEED“.
lets start step by step methi paratha recipe:
1. rinse 1 cup tightly packed methi leaves very well in water. drain them completely. chop the methi leaves finely and keep aside. in a bowl or parat add 2 cup atta/whole wheat flour and salt. then add the chopped methi leaves, 1 or 2 finely chopped green chilies, 1.5 tsp finely chopped garlic and 2 tsp oil.
2. pour ½ cup water.
3. first mix and then start kneading the dough.
4. knead to a smooth dough. add more water if required while kneading. if the dough feels sticky then you can add some more whole wheat flour.
5. make medium sized balls of the dough.
6. dust the dough ball with some flour and then start rolling the methi paratha.
7. roll the dough into medium sized rotis or rounds.
8. place the methi paratha on a hot tawa or griddle.
9. when one side is bit cooked or about ¼ cooked, then flip.
10. spread oil or ghee on this side.
11. flip again and you should see some brown spots on the paratha. apply ghee on this side too.
12. flip again a couple of times, till the methi paratha is evenly cooked and has golden spots. press the edges with a spatula so that they get cooked.
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media