methi paratha is a quick breakfast or a side accompaniment to any curry or sabzi. methi parathas are healthy alternative to plain parathas and packed with more flavors and nutrition.
these fenugreek flat breads can just be had plain with indian chai too. they are so good. they also make a good tiffin box snack and stay soft if packed in a foil.
fenugreek aka methi leaves is easily found in india and i often end up making lots of dishes from it. they can also be grown easily in your balcony or herb garden if you have one.
when living in bangalore, we would grow methi and there was never a shortage of methi for us. i would even add the tender sauted leaves to salads and make a variety of dishes from it.
these methi parathas can be made easily. if you do not get methi leaves, then substitute spinach (palak). the taste will be different and the parathas won’t have the unique methi flavor, but nevertheless they will be healthy and nutritious.
another remarkable punch in the paratha is that of garlic. the methi and garlic blend so well with each other in these parathas. so you have both the awesome flavors of methi and garlic when you bite into the paratha.
this methi paratha recipe i learnt from one of our cooks. at home we make the parathas in a different way. since i am partial to this one, i thought of sharing the recipe.
methi paratha recipe given below:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour/atta
- 1 cup tightly packed fenugreek leaves/methi
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves/lahsun, finely chopped
- 2 tsp oil
- water as required
- salt as required
- rinse the methi leaves well. drain them completely. chop the methi leaves finely and keep aside.
- in a bowl or parat mix the flour and salt. add the chopped methi leaves, green chilies, garlic, oil and mix.
- pour some water and knead to a smooth dough. make medium sized balls of the dough. roll the dough into medium sized rotis or rounds.
- on a tava or frying pan, cook the methi rotis or parathas with some oil or ghee till they are browned and cooked on both sides.
- these methi parathas have to cooked like the way we cook parathas on the pan.
- serve methi paratha hot with some pickle or raita.