masala paniyaram recipe with step by step photos – masala paniyaram are spiced dumplings made from left over idli batter. paniyarams can be made plain, spiced or sweet. they are crisp from out and soft from within. they are vegan and gluten free as well. i have already posted the recipe of sweet paniyaram and whole wheat sweet appam recipe.
my first introduction to paniyarams were when a friend would get these in her tiffin box sprinkled with idli podi (dry idli chutney powder). one bite and i was hooked.
they were so much like idlis and unlike idlis for me. soft like idlis from within but crisp from out. thats what i like about paniyarams.
these are made in a special utensil or cookware called paniyaram chatti which have moulds in it. in the market one gets both non stick as well metal versions.
you will see in the pics below, the paniyaram chatti i use at home. i have a traditional one and i got it from an antique shop in goa. its very heavy and the batter does not stick at all in this one. i have made paniyarams many times in this traditional chatti.
masala paniyaram is very easy to make, if you leftover idli batter at home. i just add the onions, spices etc in the batter and make the paniyarams with the left over idli batter. also there are versions where the spices are tempered and then added to the idli batter.
from the leftover batter i had, i made these masala paniyaram as well as sweet paniyarams. given a choice, i liked the sweet paniyarams more than the masala ones.
masala paniyaram recipe below:
- 2 cups idli batter
- 1 medium size onion - finely chopped or minced
- 1 or 2 green chilies (hari mirch) - finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - finely chopped or grated
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) - optional
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper (kali mirch powder) - optional
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 2 tablespoon chopped curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ½ cup grated coconut
- salt if required
- mix all the ingredients in the idli batter.
- add salt if the idli batter does not have salt previously added to it. stir well.
- heat the paniyaram chatti. add a few drops of oil.
- pour spoonful of the batter 3/4 of the paniyaram mould.
- allow the batter to cook for 2-3 minutes on a low or medium flame.
- turn each paniyaram with the help of a wooden skewer or spoon.
- now allow the other side to get cooked and crisp.
- turn once or twice for uniform cooking.
- remove and keep in a casserole so that they stay warm.
- these masala paniyaram are also good as tiffin box snack or picnic snack.
- serve masala paniyaram with coconut chutney or sambar.
how to make masala paniyaram recipe
1: add the chopped onions, green chilies, grated coconut, spices, herbs everything to the idli batter.
2: mix well.
3: heat the paniyaram chatti. add a few drops of oil or 1 tsp of oil if you prefer in each mould.
4: pour the spiced idli batter in the moulds upto 3/4 of the mould.
5: allow to cook for a few minutes. turn carefully with a wooden skewer or spoon and let the other side cook.
6: you can flip them once or twice more so that they get cooked evenly. you can also add some more oil if required. when the paniyarams are golden from all sides, remove in a casserole… so that they stay warm. cook in batches this way.
7: you can serve masala paniyaram hot or warm with idli podi or coconut chutney. i served these with a quick hotel style coconut chutney.Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes