paniyaram are crisp and soft spiced dumplings made from leftover idli batter.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 2 cups idli batter
- 1 medium size onion - finely chopped or minced
- 1 or 2 green chilies - finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger - finely chopped or grated
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) - optional
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper - optional
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoon chopped curry leaves
- ½ cup grated coconut
- salt if required
in a bowl take the idli batter.
add the chopped onions, green chilies, grated coconut, spices, herbs everything to the idli batter. mix well.
add salt if the idli batter does not have salt previously added to it. stir well.
heat the paniyaram chatti. add a few drops of oil.
pour spoonful of the batter 3/4 of the paniyaram mould.
allow the batter to cook for 2-3 minutes on a low or medium flame.
turn each kuzhi paniyaram with the help of a wooden skewer or spoon.
now allow the other side to get cooked and crisp.
turn once or twice for uniform cooking.
remove them and keep in a casserole so that they stay warm.
these kuzhi paniyaram are also good as tiffin box snack or picnic snack.
serve them with coconut chutney or sambar.