kaddu ki sabzi recipe – here again another of the pumpkin recipes that can be made on regular days and also during navratri. this kaddu or pumpkin sabzi is a favorite at home. kaddu ki sabzi is also known as petha sabzi or kaddu ki sabji.
kaddu is the hindi word for pumpkin. and this recipe only has pumpkin, pumpkin and pumpkin in it 🙂 so a must try for all pumpkin lovers.
the recipe is another wonder from my mother in law’s collection. best to have the kaddu sabzi with pooris. it also goes well with ajwain parathas, plain parathas or phulkas. during the fast, we have it with singhare ki pooris or rajgire ki poori.
the kaddu ki sabzi recipe is easy and simple. only cutting and peeling the kaddu takes some effort and time. but i found an easy method to peel the kaddu… but this method only works with smaller pumpkins not bigger ones 🙁
place the whole small pumpkin on a large plate or thali or on the table top. firmly keep your hand on top of the pumpkin. with the peeler in your other hand start to peel the pumpkin from sideways. keep on rotating the pumpkin with the other hand which is on top of it. work with both your hands in this manner till the pumpkin is peeled from all sides.
in the pic above you cannot see my hand on top of the kaddu as i am holding the camera in that hand 😉
forgive me about the peeler… the peeler in the pic is old but is very very sharp and is a great help in peeling carrots, potatoes, cucumbers and of course pumpkins.
once the kaddu is peeled, you start to chop the kaddu and you see the pith and the seeds. so what you do with the seeds? don’t throw them away.
if you have a garden, then plant the seeds… and if you have a garden or if you don’t have a garden then dry the seeds in the sun. when they are dried, roast them with some salt and have it in your food. pumpkin seeds are very nutritious and healthy. you can also roast or toast the pumpkin seeds in the oven.
the recipe of kaddu sabzi is easy and does not use more ingredients. the flavoring comes from the addition of methi seeds (fenugreek seeds) and jeera (cumin seeds). of course we add our usual indian spice powders to this recipe like turmeric powder, red chili powder and garam masala powder. some sugar/ jaggery is added for that sweetness which fuses subtly with the sweetness of the pumpkin.
i paired the kaddu sabzi with the jeera aloo and the combo was nice. we all loved it and i plan to make this combo again and again. the tangy jeera aloo with the sweet kaddu sabzi… goes great with pooris, parathas or rotis.
note: if making this kaddu sabzi for fasting or vrat then skip the fenugreek seeds, turmeric powder and garam masala. you can refer to this compiled list of ingredients allowed during navratri fast.
kaddu ki sabzi recipe details below:
- 1 small pumpkin/kaddu
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds/methi seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 or 2 dry red chilies (optional)
- ½ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- ¼ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp dry mango powder/amchur
- 1 tsp sugar or 2 tsp crushed jaggery
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¾th cup or 1 cup water
- a few chopped coriander leaves for garnishing (optional)
- rock salt/sendha namak or common salt if not making during fasting
- wash the pumpkin. peel and chop the pumpkin.
- in a pressure cooker or pan heat oil.
- add the fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds and fry for a minute on a low flame.
- now add the red chilies and fry for some 15 seconds.
- add the chopped pumpkin and all the dry spice powders except garam masala and dry mango powder.
- add the sugar or jaggery.
- mix the pumpkin with the rest of the spices and sugar/jaggery. add water and salt.
- cover the cooker with a lid and pressure cook for 7-8 minutes.
- if you do have a pressure cooker than cover the pan with a lid and cook the pumpkin for some 15-20 minutes till they become soft and mushy.
- now mash the cooked and soft pumpkin with a spoon and add the garam masala and dry mango powder.
- stir the mashed pumpkin well and cook for minute or two.
- if the sabzi still looks watery to you, then evaporate the water from the sabzi by cooking it without the lid.
- the sabzi should not be dry nor watery, just in between.
- garnish with coriander leaves and serve kaddu ki sabzi hot.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media