this green chutney is a regular chutney which we make as a side dish with our punjabi meals.
this is again a healthy green chutney and easy to make recipe. again from my mil’s fab punjabi recipe collection. here apart from herbs like coriander, mint, some veggies are also added – tomatoes, onions and radish. the chutney is given a slightly sour taste by dry pomegranate seeds or anardana.
when we don’t have pomegranate seeds, we add lemon juice or dry mango powder and even raw mangoes in the summers. so you can choose whichever souring agent you have.
this green chutney can be had as a dip or can be used as a spread. best with some onion pakoras, samosa, aloo tikki, french fries, veg or paneer tikka, veg cutlet/patties, tandoori or grilled veggies/snacks. we also serve it as a side dish with a simple dal tadka chawal. the chutney can also be used as spread on sandwiches and burgers.
punjabi style green chutney recipe below:
- ¼ cup mint leaves (pudina patta)
- ½ cup coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1 medium sized tomato
- ½ inch ginger - peeled and chopped (adrak)
- 3 to 4 garlic - peeled chopped (lahsun)
- 2 inch of white radish (mooli) - optional
- 1 green chili, chopped (increasing the number of green chilies will increase the heat in the chutney. for a hotter and spicier version, you can add 2 green chilies)
- ½ teaspoon dry pomegranate seeds (anardana) - substitute dry mango powder (amchur) or lemon juice or raw mango instead of dry pomegranate seeds. adjust accordingly.
- black salt or rock salt as required
- 1 or 2 tablespoon of water to grind the chutney
- rinse and chop the mint and coriander leaves.
- peel and rinse the onion. chop roughly.
- rinse and chop the tomatoes roughly.
- rinse and peel the radish. chop the radish.
- add these veggies, ginger, garlic in a chutney grinder or small blender.
- also add all pomegranate seeds, salt, green chilies.
- add 1 or 2 tbsp water and grind the ingredients till smooth.
- remove the green chutney in a bowl.
- serve the green chutney as a side dish with indian starters or snacks.
- the green chutney stays good in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes