gobi recipes – cauliflower or gobi is widely used in indian cooking. gobi can be made alone or in combination with other veggies.
there are many recipes posted on the blog where gobi is used in combination with other veggies. out of these, aloo gobi is very popular, be it the dry version or the curried version.
before using gobi, i generally prefer to blanch the cauliflower in warm or hot water, as sometimes there are small insects in the gobi. secondly i always buy cauliflower which is more whitish in color and has less dark spots.
gobi danthal or the stalks of cauliflower are also used in indian cooking. at home we make gobi ke danthal ki sabzi from these. sharing a collection of 18 gobi recipes from the blog. you can also check these veggie recipes collections:
- 23 bhindi recipes (lady finger or okra recipes)
- 25 capsicum recipes (bell pepper or shimla mirch recipes)
- 19 methi recipes (fenugreek leaves recipes)
- 10 best indian veggie recipes
19 veg gobi recipes:
1. gobi masala – creamy delicious and lightly spiced gobi masala made restaurant style. the gobi masala recipe is easy and simple to make and goes very well with rotis, naan, tandoori rotis or just plain steamed rice.
2. aloo gobi curry restaurant style – a rich creamy potato cauliflower curry made restaurant style. excellent for special or festive occasions, guests or parties.
3. gobi manchurian dry – indo chinese recipe of pan fried cauliflower florets coated with a spicy sauce. fairly easy to prepare, this gobi manchurian recipe is not spicy like the restaurant or street versions. if you want, you can add more of the ginger, garlic and green chilies and increase the spice and heat in the dish.
4. gobi manchurian gravy – indo chinese recipe of pan fried cauliflower florets in a spicy sauce.
5. aloo gobi dry – a simple and easy recipe for making punjabi cauliflower potato dish. delicious in its simplicity.
6. gobi 65 – spicy starter snack of fried cauliflower florets. this is a dry version of gobi 65 and does not include sauces like soy sauce or tomato sauce. other popular variation is this aloo 65 and paneer 65 recipe.
7. gobi biryani – one pot recipe of a dum cooked south indian style cauliflower biryani recipe. this easy biryani is dum cooked but not layered. if you are fond of biryani’s then you can check this collection of 27 biryani recipes.
8. aloo gobi matar – lightly spiced curry with cauliflower, peas and potatoes.
9. gobi matar – dry and lightly spiced cauliflower peas recipe. this dry version of gobi matar goes very well with chapatis, phulkas and even bread. it also goes well as a side veggie dish with dal-rice. also goes well for tiffin box lunch with chapatis.
10. gobi paratha – whole wheat flat bread stuffed with spiced grated cauliflower. gobi paratha is often made for breakfast in punjabi homes as well as served in restaurants and punjabi dhabas.
11. gobi pakora – crisp fried marinated cauliflower fritters made with gram flour. the basic technique of making veggie pakora is more or less the same. so almost the same procedure is used for aloo pakora, onion pakora or cabbage pakora and so on.
12. aloo gobi curry – the classic aloo gobi in an onion and tomato based sauce simmered with spices. dhaba style recipe.
13. aloo gobi methi tuk – dry spiced curry made with sauted potatoes, cauliflower and fresh fenugreek leaves. a delicious recipe from the sindhi cuisine.
14. tandoori gobi – marinated and grilled cauliflower. excellent snack or starter recipe. this gobi tikka recipe is a spicy version, so if making for kids or folks who do not like spicy food, just cut down half of the red chili powder and garam masala. vegan can use cashew yogurt for marination instead of using dairy yogurt/curd/dahi.
15. baked cauliflower – lightly spiced cauliflower florets baked in the oven. baked cauliflower is healthy and light. plus its a vegan recipe. also as the cauliflower is baked, it has a crunch and a bite to it. it is not soft like the way it is often made in the indian cauliflower sabzis. good as a brunch or a light snack to go with any herb or cheesy dip.
16. gobi gajar shalgam achar – sweet and sour punjabi winter special pickle made with cauliflower, carrots and turnips. what you get in this pickle are crunchy cauliflower, carrots and turnips in a spicy, sweet and tangy base. if you love sweet pickles, you will like this one too. this pickle stays good for about 6 months. if living in a warm, humid or hot climate, then i suggest to keep the pickle in the refrigerator.
17. gobi ke danthal ki sabzi – punjabi dry spiced curry made from cauliflower stalks and leaves. this gobi danthal dry curry is mildly spiced with the flavors of mustard oil coming through. mustard oil gives the dish its pungent punch in the flavor department.
19. cauliflower curry recipe – healthy and delicious gobi curry that goes very well with chapatis or parathas.