made the garlic naan some days back. this recipe of garlic naan on stove top was requested by my dear reader suhani. the garlic naan was so good. it is exactly the way a naan should be. not at all chewy & hard the way we get in restaurants.
the garlic naan is light, soft and the garlic enhances the flavor so much. along with garlic i added some celery too. instead of celery you can use coriander leaves. garlic and celery both blended well in this naan and made it an aromatic and strongly flavored naan and we enjoyed the garlic naan with some amritsari chole.
in this garlic naan recipe, i have used 50:50 of both all purpose flour and whole wheat flour. you can use 100% of either too. also i have used oil to make the naan, but you can use butter or ghee instead. i have adapted the garlic naan recipe from my whole wheat naan recipe post.
lets start step by step garlic naan recipe:
1: in a large bowl or pan take lukewarm water with sugar. add the yeast to it.
2: dissolve the yeast and keep the mixture standing for 10 minutes or till the yeast froths up.
3: the yeast has bubbled up…
4: now add both the flours, garlic paste or minced garlic, oil and salt to the yeast mixture.
5: add water and knead into a smooth and soft dough.
6: cover with a moist cloth and keep aside for 1:30 mins to 2 hours for the dough to leaven and double. the dough after leavening in the below pic.
7: make medium size balls from the dough.
8: cover again with a wet cloth and keep aside for 15-20 minutes. after 15 minutes in the pic below…
9: on a dusted rolling board take a ball and roll it into a small round of 2 inches diameter.
10: place the round disc on to the tray containing garlic, celery and nigella seeds.
12: now place on a dusted rolling board.
13: now with a rolling pin, roll the disc into 4-5 inches rounds.
14: you can make round shaped or tear shaped naans.
15: place the side with the garlic and celery facing down on a hot tava or frying pan.
16: when the base is browned and cooked completely, lift the garlic naan with tongs from the pan and place the uncooked side on fire.
you can also cook the garlic naan on the tava itself, like we do for chapatis. you can also add oil or ghee to the tava when cooking the naans as we do for parathas. anyways you cook, they taste delicious. i tried all the methods. the final pics have the garlic naan cooked on tava only.
15: roast the uncooked side of garlic naan on fire till browned and some black spots appear. this is how we love naans at home, a bit charred. keep on a plate and smear with oil or ghee.
13: cook each garlic naan like this one by one. stack them up to be served later or serve directly.
14: serve garlic naan hot or warm. these garlic naan were very soft, so they did not become hard once they got cold. serve garlic naan with your favorite indian dal like dal makhani, rajma masala, restaurent style dal tadka or curry like paneer butter masala, punjabi chole, methi matar malai, kadai paneer, punjabi lobia masala.
garlic naan recipe details below:
- 11/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 11/2 cup all purpose flour/maida
- 2 tsp garlic paste or minced garlic
- 2 tsp sugar
- 11/2 tsp dry active yeast
- 11/2 or 2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp oil or ghee
- ¾ cup water… add more if required
- ½ cup finely chopped garlic and celery or coriander leaves
- 1 tsp nigella seeds/kalonji
- 11/2 to 2 tsp salt or as required
- extra oil or ghee for frying or smearing on the naan (optional)
- proof the yeast in sugar dissolved with warm water.
- after the yeast proofs and rises, add all the flours, garlic paste, salt and oil to the yeast mixture.
- knead to a smooth dough.
- cover with a moist cloth and keep the dough to leaven for 1:30 to 2 hours.
- when the dough doubles up, then make medium sized balls of the dough.
- cover and keep aside for 15-20 mins.
- in a plate or tray take the chopped garlic, celery leaves and nigella seeds. mix these well.
- take each ball on a dusted board and roll into a small disc of 2 inches.
- place this disc on the garlic-celery-nigella-seeds mixture.
- remove and keep on a dusted board
- now roll to a round of about 5 to 6 inches diameter,
- heat a tava or frying pan.
- place the garlic and celery side of the naan touching the hot tava.
- cook this side till browned and done.
- now hold the naan with a tong and place the uncooked side directly on fire.
- roast this side on the fire till browned and done.
- smear some oil or ghee on top of the naan.
- cook all the garlic naans this way.
- serve garlic naan hot or warm.