chocolate modak recipe with step by step photos. these chocolate modaks are prepared mainly from three ingredients chocolate, mawa/khoya (evaporated milk solids) and sugar. this modak recipe takes less than 30 mins to make and is simple to make during festive seasons. it is similar to the recipe of mawa modak.
i had mawa and chocolate both, so thought of making chocolate modaks. everyone is fond of chocolates and to include chocolate in modaks would be favorite of many people. you could make this as offering for lord ganesha or serve as a sweet dessert to family. kids would surely love these modaks.
i have used chocolate chips but you could use grated chocolate of any good brand. mawa used for this recipe is unsweetened mawa. further to give more flavor and aroma, i have sprinkled freshly ground cardamom powder. for variation you could use vanilla extract or cinnamon powder instead of cardamom powder. mawa or khoya can be easily made at home. you can check this recipe on how to make khoya at home.
the best part of these chocolate modaks are that you could refrigerate them for 5 to 6 days. these modaks taste best when they are served chilled. modaks are loved by our folks be it ukadiche modak, fried modak, dry fruits modak, rava modak or sweet kozhukattai.
i have garnished them with finely chopped pistachios and rose petals but it’s optional. i have used modak moulds for chocolate modak but you could also use chocolate moulds. if you don’t have moulds then just shape them into modak or make small balls like pedas and serve.
chocolate modak recipe card below:
- 1 cup grated or chopped mawa (khoya or evaporated milk solids)
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips - milk, sweet or semi sweet
- 2 tabespoons sugar or as required. i used organic sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamom powder (choti elaichi powder)
- oil or butter or ghee for greasing the moulds, as required
- 3 to 4 pistachios (pista) - chopped finely (optional)
- 5 to 6 rose petals (optional)
firstly keep all the ingredients ready for the modak.
grease the modak moulds with a bit of butter or ghee or oil. place aside.
heat a pan. keep the flame to a low and add grated mawa.
keep stirring on low flame for a minute. soon the mawa would start melting.
when the mawa begins melting, add sugar in the mawa mixture and stir for a minute.
quickly add chocolate chips.
you would see the chocolate chips melting. keep stirring on low heat.
the mixture will start thickening. continuously keep stirring.
sprinkle cardamom powder.
keep stirring on low flame until the mixture starts leaving the edges of the pan. do not overcook as then the modaks will turn out dense.
immediately transfer the mixture in another bowl/dish/thali.
allow the mixture to cool.
make small balls from them.
place a small ball in the modak mould.
gently unmould and repeat the same with the rest of mixture.
place the modaks over a greased plate/thali.
garnish with rose petals, top with finely chopped pistachios. offer chocolate modaks to lord ganesha. these modaks can also be chilled and then served later.
you can double the recipe.
how to make chocolate modak recipe:
1. firstly keep all the ingredients ready for the modak.
2. grease the modak moulds with a bit of ghee or butter or oil. place aside.
3. heat a pan. keep the flame on sim and then add the grated mawa.
4. keep stirring on a low flame for a minute.
5. soon the mawa would start melting.
6. at this stage add 2 tablespoons sugar in the mawa mixture. you can add less or more sugar as required.
7. stir for a minute.
8. quickly add ⅓ cup chocolate chips. use good quality chocolate chips. here i used callebaut belgium milk chocolate chips.
9. you would see the chocolate chips melting. keep stirring on low heat.
10. the mixture would start thickening. continuously keep stirring.
11. sprinkle ⅛ teaspoon cardamom powder.
12. keep stirring on low flame until the mixture starts leaving the edges of the pan. do not over cook, as then the modaks will become dense or hard.
13. immediately transfer the mixture in another steel or glass bowl/dish/thali.
14. allow the mixture to cool.
15. make small balls from them.
16. place the small ball into the modak mould. just press with your index finger towards the center of the mould so they get the shape of the mould.
17. gently unmould and repeat the same with the rest of mixture.
18. place the modaks over a greased plate/thali.
garnish with rose petals, top with finely chopped pistachios. offer to lord ganesha. or you can chill them and serve later to your family.