chocolate modak recipe with step by step photos - easy recipe of chocolate modak.
rough calories per serving: 215 kcal
for chocolate modak:
- 1 cup grated or chopped mawa (khoya or evaporated milk solids)
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips - milk, sweet or semi sweet
- 2 tabespoons sugar or as required. i used organic sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon cardamom powder (choti elaichi powder)
- oil or butter or ghee for greasing the moulds, as required
- 3 to 4 pistachios (pista) - chopped finely (optional)
- 5 to 6 rose petals (optional)
firstly keep all the ingredients ready for the modak.
grease the modak moulds with a bit of butter or ghee or oil. place aside.
heat a pan. keep the flame to a low and add grated mawa.
keep stirring on low flame for a minute. soon the mawa would start melting.
when the mawa begins melting, add sugar in the mawa mixture and stir for a minute.
quickly add chocolate chips.
you would see the chocolate chips melting. keep stirring on low heat.
the mixture will start thickening. continuously keep stirring.
sprinkle cardamom powder.
keep stirring on low flame until the mixture starts leaving the edges of the pan. do not overcook as then the modaks will turn out dense.
immediately transfer the mixture in another bowl/dish/thali.
allow the mixture to cool.
make small balls from them.
place a small ball in the modak mould.
gently unmould and repeat the same with the rest of mixture.
place the modaks over a greased plate/thali.
garnish with rose petals, top with finely chopped pistachios. offer chocolate modaks to lord ganesha. these modaks can also be chilled and then served later.
you can double the recipe.