Paneer Capsicum is my favourite recipe which has Paneer – An Indian Cheese and Capsicum also known as Shimla Mirch. This is a rich gravy recipe made with cream and fried cashew nuts.
To know how to make paneer in a short time and in a jiffy in a microwave oven, read this post: Making paneer – indian cottage cheese in a microwave oven
Ingredients for Paneer Capsicum Gravy Recipe are:
- 2/3 medium sized capsicum
- 200 gms of paneer
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chillies
- 8-10 cashew nuts
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric – haldi powder
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2/3 tbsp cream
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
How to make Paneer Capsicum :
Fry the cashewnuts in oil. Remove them. Then slit the green chillies and fry them too in the same oil. Remove once done.
Now in the same oil, add cumin seeds. Once they are fried, then add the onions. Fry the onions till transparent. Add the ginger-garlic paste. Fry it till the raw smell of the ginger-garlic paste disappears. Now add the tomatoes and all the dry masala powders.
- For onions or tomatoes to cook faster, add a little salt.
- Its better not to fry the paneer as sometimes the process of frying makes them hard.
- Ideally paneer should be added to any recipe just before you turn off the flame. If you add them at the beginning of the recipe, they will become hard and rubbery.
- If you are calorie conscious, you can skip frying the cashewnuts and green chilles. Instead add them when you add the capsicum.
- I will not suggest skipping the cream as it gives a wonderful taste to this recipe. However, you can reduce the amount of cream.