paneer capsicum recipe – this is one of my favorite recipe which has cottage cheese and green bell pepper/shimla mirch. other capsicum recipes which i make with capsicum are aloo capsicum, bharwan shimla mirch, capsicum pulao and capsicum masala recipe.
this paneer capsicum is a rich gravy recipe made with cream and fried cashew nuts. addition of cream gives a good flavor to this recipe and overall it is a rich creamy recipe which you will enjoy with parathas or rotis.
the paneer capsicum recipe is easy to prepare. first frying the cashews and green chilies. then sauting the onion-tomato masala, cooking the bell peppers and then adding the paneer and lastly finishing off with some cream.
its always better to make paneer at home than to buy it from outside. i usually make paneer at stove top. home made paneer is more hygienic as well as cheaper.
few tips for making paneer capsicum masala recipe:
- for onions or tomatoes to cook faster, add a little salt.
- its better not to fry the paneer as sometimes the process of frying makes them dense.
- ideally paneer should be added to any recipe just a couple of minutes, before you turn off the flame. if you add them at the beginning of the recipe, they will become dense and rubbery.
- if you are calorie conscious, you can skip frying the cashewnuts and green chilles. instead add them when you add the capsicum.
- i will not suggest skipping the cream as it gives a wonderful taste to this recipe. however, you can reduce the amount of cream.
paneer capsicum recipe below:
- 200-250 gms paneer/cottage cheese, cubed
- 1 large capsicum/green bell pepper/shimla mirch, diced or cubed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1.5 tsp ginger garlic paste/adrak lahsun ka paste
- 3 tbsp cream
- 3 tbsp oil
- 18-20 cashews/kaju
- 2-3 green chilies/hari mirch
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder/haldi
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder/dhania powder
- 1.5 cups water
- 1/2 tsp dry fenugreek leaves/kasuri methi
- 1/4 tsp dry mint leaves/pudina patta, optional
- a few coriander leaves for garnishing, optional
- salt as required
firstly you can make the paneer and cut it into small cubes. ready to use paneer is also available in grocery stores and supermarkets. you can use these too if you do not have much time on hand to make paneer at home.
heat 3 tbsp oil in a pan or kadai. fry the cashew nuts till golden in oil. remove them and drain on paper towels to remove excess oil.
then fry the the slit green chillies in the same oil. remove and drain them too.
now in the same oil, add the onions. saute the onions till translucent or light brown.
add the ginger-garlic paste. saute till the raw aroma of the ginger-garlic paste goes away.
now add the tomatoes and all the dry spice powders.
cook the onion tomato mixture on a low flame till the oil starts separating.
once the mixture reduces and becomes paste like, add chopped capsicum.
add water. season with salt. stir well & cover with a lid and let the capsicum get cooked. this will take some minutes.
when the capsicum has become tender, add the paneer, fried cashew nuts and green chilies.
simmer for 1 to 2 mins. you can reserve a few cashews for garnishing.
then add the cream. stir and switch off the flame.
lastly sprinkle crushed kasuri methi and dry mint leaves. stir gently.
serve the paneer capsicum hot garnished with coriander leaves, with rotis, parathas or rice.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes