spiced boondi raita recipe with step by step photos – cucumber raita, onion-tomato raita and boondi raita are three of the most sought after raitas in indian cuisine. its strange but true, that i don’t have much raita recipes on the blog.
i make raitas almost everyday in summers and somehow i am not able to take pics and update on the blog.
boondi are tiny fried gram flour balls. they are very easy to make at home or otherwise they are available in most grocery or sweets shops. they are salted and crisp.
these crisp tiny balls (boondi) are first soaked in warm water. as a result, they swell a little in size and become so soft. their enire crispiness is lost. they are squeezed of the excess water and then added to the spiced yogurt. so you have a spiced yogurt with the soft boondi melting in your mouth.
i served the boondi raita with biryani rice/kuska rice along with a muslim style aubergine/brinjal curry. i have used cashew yogurt to make it but you can use normal curd also. when hard pressed for time, you can just have the boondi raita with some steamed basmati rice along with a side veg salad.
boondi raita recipe details below:
- ½ cup plain salted boondi
- 1 cup curd/dahi/yogurt - vegan or dairy
- ¼ to ½ tsp chaat masala
- ½ tsp saunf powder/fennel powder (optional)
- ½ tsp bhuna jeera powder/roasted cumin powder
- ¼ tsp red chili powder/lal mirch powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder/kali mirch powder
- 2 to 3 tsp chopped coriander or mint leaves/pudina
- a few coriander or mint leaves for garnish
- black salt or rock salt as required
- first warm water in a pan on stove top or in the microwave.
- add the boondi in the warm water and let them get soaked for 9 to 12 minutes.
- drain this water and lightly press the boondi in your palms, to squeeze the water from them. don't mash them up.
- whisk the yogurt in a bowl.
- add the boondi and mix.
- add all the dry spice powders, chopped mint leaves/coriander leaves, including salt. stir the raita well.
- garnish boondi raita with mint leaves or coriander leaves.
- the boondi raita can be served cold or at room temperature. they go well with biryani or pulao or any rich based dishes like jeera rice.
the spice powders can be adjusted as per your taste.
lets start step by step boondi raita recipe:
1. first warm water in a pan on stove top or in the microwave. take the warm water in a bowl.
2. add the boondi in the warm water.
3. allow them to get soaked for 9 to 12 minutes. cover the bowl with a lid.
4. meanwhile, whisk the curd/yogurt in a bowl till smooth.
5. drain the water from the soaked boondis.
6. lightly press the boondi in your palms, to squeeze the excess water from them. don’t mash them up. add the boondi to the whisked curd and mix.
7. add all the dry spice powders and salt.
8. stir the raita well.
9. lastly mix chopped coriander leaves or mint leaves.
10. the boondi raita can be served cold or at room temperature. you can also garnish boondi raita with sprigs of mint or coriander leaves. boondi raita also goes well with biryani or pulao or any rich based dishes like jeera rice.
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media