arbi or colocasia is one root vegetable that i make often and we don’t even get bored or tired of it. you can make it crispy fried or add it to yogurt & make a mild arbi yogurt curry or even make a spicy arbi curry. i even have a no onion no garlic arbi masala for the vrat/fast.
this is now an easy and healthy version of arbi cutlet. i have pan fried the arbi with less oil and then added all my favorite spice powders to it. drizzled some lemon juice and we had a crispy, tangy and mildly spiced arbi.
the arbi cutlet can also be served as a starter and can be snacked at any time. i served the arbi with coriander chutney.
since this is a fasting/vrat recipe, i have used rock salt. but when not making for fast, then you can add black salt or regular salt.
arbi cutlet recipe details below:
- 10-12 arbi or colocasia roots
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
- ½ tsp dry mango powder (optional)
- 1 or 2 tsp chaat masala
- ½ or 1 tsp lemon juice
- rock salt or black salt
- some fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
- wash and rinse the arbi well to get rid of the soil and mud.
- boil the arbi in a pan or pressure cooker with some salt & water till they are completely cooked.
- drain them.
- when warm or cool, peel the arbi.
- now take each piece and flatten it in between your palms.
- heat a tava or frying pan.
- drizzle some oil on the pan.
- pan fry the arbi till golden brown and crisp on both sides.
- in a small bowl, take all the dry spice powders and mix them.
- now toss the pan fried crisp arbi in the dry spice powders mixture.
- add some lemon juice from top.
- garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- serve hot or warm with coriander chutney or sweet chutney