aam ka panna recipe with step by step photos – three indian drinks i often make in the summers are shikanji, aam ka panna and kokum sherbet. they all are summer coolers and help greatly in beating the heat in the summers.
at home we avoid the unhealthy soft cola drinks in the summers and take recourse in the bountiful blessings that mother nature gives us. watermelons, coconuts, musk melons, cucumber, fresh kokum, lemons… all these are the fruits which are great summer coolers and help you a lot in tolerating the heat and heat stroke.
aam ka panna is made from raw mangoes. the drink is slightly sour and sweet to taste with a hint of cardamom & black salt. the aam ka panna recipe presented here is adapted from my home science notes.
sugar or jaggery is added to the panna as a sweetener. i avoid using white sugar in my cooking and always use organic cane sugar or golden sugar. recently i saw a pack of organic evaporated sugar cane juice in the fabindia outlet here. i had to buy it.
in the aam panna i added the evaporated sugar cane juice and it took the aam panna to a totally whole new level. it was not just the raw mango that appealed to the senses, but also a refreshing mild taste and flavor of sugar cane juice. the colors of the aam panna are also like the brown cola color due to the evaporated sugar cane juice.
i also made the aam panna with organic jaggery, cardamom and black pepper and this combo was much different. now the color changed to a golden yellow shade. i get so inspired by colors and try the same to portray in my photographs. don’t know if i do enough justice to it or not.
you can either make the aam panna with sugar or jaggery. if you do make it with sugar your aam panna will have a light creamish or pale or lemon yellow color to it. take your pick…. which colors inspire you?
a few health benefits of aam panna:
- it prevents you from heat stroke and keeps the body cool.
- raw mangoes are rich in vitamin c and iron, plus the jaggery also gives an iron boost.
- the aam panna helps in preventing stomach problems in the summers.
raw mango panna or aam ka panna recipe below:
- 1 large or 2 medium sized raw mangoes
- 2-3 cardamoms, crushed or powdered
- 4-5 black pepper, crushed or powdered (optional)
- 2 tsp black salt
- powdered jaggery/sugar - double the amount of the mango pulp... add more for more sweetness
- rinse the raw mangoes in water.
- steam the raw mangoes in pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles till they become completely soft and pulpy.
- remove the peel and take out the mango pulp.
- mix the cardamom powder, salt and jaggery to the mango pulp.
- mix the ingredients or blend to make it smooth.
- store aam ka panna in an air tight jar or bottle.
- while serving aam ka panna, add 1 tbsp of the preserve to one glass of water.
- stir and add ice cubes. serve aam ka panna cold.
2. you can also steam the mangoes or cook these in a pan. remember they have to become soft, so that the peel and the pulp comes out easily.
if you are looking for more mango recipes then do check mango falooda, mango mastani, mango lassi, mango milkshake, mango sherbet and mango iced tea.
step by step raw mango panna or aam ka panna recipe:
1. rinse the raw mangoes in water a couple of times. pressure cook the raw mangoes in enough water for 3-4 whistles till they become soft. you can also steam the mangoes in a steamer or a pot.
2. after cooking the raw mangoes, the peel comes off easily. scrape and remove the cooked mango pulp. scrape from the peel also. collect the cooked mango pulp in a bowl. discard the peels.
3. add powdered jaggery/sugar and crushed cardamom with black salt. as a rule always add double the amount of jaggery/sugar to the mango pulp. the ratio is 1:2 for mango pulp and jaggery respectively. i got about 1 cup of mango pulp. hence have added 2 cups of the evaporated cane juice.
4. mix well. you could also use a blender or hand churner to blend the panna. your aam panna is ready. store aam ka panna in a bottle or jar in the fridge.
5. for making the drink, dissolve 1 tbsp of the aam panna in one glass of water. add ice cubes and serve aam ka panna cold.
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media