I had come across this recipe in a cookbook and it seemed a breeze to prepare these uttapams. No grinding and fermentation. These uttapams are made from swang ke chawal or sama ke chawal ka atta or barnyard millet flour. So they taste very different and unlike the regular uttapam made from dosa batter or other variations like oats uttapam or instant rava uttapam.
These are like mini uttapams as the batter does not spread on the pan. So you make small uttapams. I have topped the uttapams with tomatoes and green chilies.
These vrat ka uttapams can be served with plain yogurt or even phalahari chutney or this Vrat ki coconut chutney. if you are not making for fasting then you can serve these vrat ke uttapams with peanut chutney.
How to make vrat ke uttapam
1. Make a thick flowing batter with the sama ka atta (barnyard millet flour), cumin seeds, coriander leaves, rock salt and water.
2. Heat a griddle or tava. Spread some oil. Pour a small ladle of the batter in a round shaped pancake. Don’t spread as the batter is not going to spread. top the tomatoes and green chilies on the uttapam immediately as soon as you spread the batter. sprinkle some oil on the top and sides.
3. when the base is cooked, flip and cook the tomato-chili side.
4. you can also cook two or three uttapams at once on the tava or griddle.
5. when the tomatoes are lightly browned and the base is slightly crisp and browned, remove the uttapam from the pan.
Serve vrat ke uttapams hot with Phalahari chutney. you can also have these uttapams with homemade tomato sauce.
If you are looking for more Fasting/vrat recipes then do check:
Have you made this recipe and liked it? Please leave a star rating in the recipe card below or share the recipe on facebook, whatsapp, twitter & pinterest. For recipe updates Subscribe to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest and Twitter.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
vrat ke uttapam
- 1 cup swang ke chawal ka atta (barnyard millet flour)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- rock salt or sendha namak as required
- water as required
- Make a thick flowing batter with the vrat ke chawal ka atta, cumin seeds, coriander leaves, rock salt and water.
- Heat a skillet or tava.
- Spread some oil on the tava.
- With a spoon or ladle pour the batter.
- Don't spread as the batter won't spread.
- So you can make small sized uttapams.
- Top the tomatoes and green chilies on the uttapam immediately as soon as you spread the batter.
- Sprinkle some oil on the top and sides.
- When the base is cooked, flip and cook the tomato-chili side.
- The tomatoes will get slightly browned.
- Flip again and cook the plain side.
- Serve vrat ke uttapams hot with phalahari chutney or coconut chutney.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.