mix veg recipe with step by step pics – this north indian punjabi style mix veg gravy recipe is a family favorite and my mom’s recipe. its tastes delicious with phulkas, parathas or pooris.
the best part of this mix veg curry recipe is that you can use spare veggies that are in your kitchen and make a one pot tasty mix veg gravy.
i also make another variation of mix veg curry which is totally different than this one and is rich too – fried mix veg sabji recipe. in the fried mix veg recipe, the veggies are fried but the recipe posted here does not have fried veggies. the vegetables are cooked in their juices. this takes a little longer but the result is great. i often make this when we want to have something comforting with chapatis.
being vegetarians, we have lots of veggies in our diet. i have shared many other different types of gravies made with mix vegetables like.
few such mix veg curry recipes are:
this mixed veg curry recipe goes very well with chapatis but also tastes good with pooris or parathas. you can also have mix veg curry with some steamed rice. you can also add paneer in this mix vegetable recipe.
how to make mix veg recipe
making onion tomato masala:
1. heat 3 tablespoons oil in a kadai or pan. then add 1 teaspoon cumin seeds and let them crackle.
2. when the cumin seeds finish crackling, then add ½ cup finely chopped onions.
3. mix well and begin to sauté onions on a low to medium flame. stir often when sautéing onions.
4. sauté onions till they turn light golden.
5. then add 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste.
6. mix well and saute for some seconds till the raw aroma of both ginger and garlic goes away.
7. then add 1 cup tightly packed finely chopped tomatoes.
8. mix well and begin to sauté tomatoes on a low flame. stir often when sauteing tomatoes.
9. saute till the tomatoes turn pulpy and you see oil releasing from the sides.
10. then add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon kashmiri chili powder, ½ teaspoon garam masala powder and 2 teaspoons coriander powder.
11. mix the spice powders very well with the onion-tomato mixture.
making mix veg curry
12. then add 2 cups of chopped veggies and 1 green chili (chopped). chop the veggies in small to medium sized pieces so that they cook well. you can use mix vegetables like cauliflower, carrots, potatoes and french beans. you can also use capsicum, white button mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini etc.
13. then add ½ cup of green peas (fresh or frozen).
14. mix the veggies very well with the onion-tomato masala and saute for a minute.
15. then add 1.5 cups water. for a thin gravy add 2 cups water.
16 add salt as per taste.
17. mix well.
cooking mix vegetable curry
18. cover the kadai or pan with a lid and cook the veggies on a low to medium flame.
19. in between do check when the veggies are cooking.
20. when the veggie are half cooked, add 2 tablespoons cream or malai or 3 tablespoons milk in the mix veg curry. do note that the milk will curdle, but this gives a good taste in the veg gravy. you can even skip adding cream or milk.
21. mix well.
22. cover the kadai again and simmer till the veggies are cooked well.
23. do check in between when the veggies are cooking.
24. the veggies have to be cooked well. but ensure that you do not overcook them. if there is too much of water in the gravy, then remove the lid and cook till the water evaporates and you get the gravy as per the consistency you want. if the veg curry looks dry and the veggies are not cooked, then add some water and continue to cover and cook.
25. when the veggies are cooked well, switch off the flame. then add 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves. mix again. if using paneer then add some paneer cubes before adding coriander leaves and simmer mix veg curry for a few seconds.
26. serve mix veg curry steaming hot with chapatis, phulkas, naan, parathas or pooris. you can also serve it with steamed rice or jeera rice.
mix veg recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR mix veg recipe
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped finely or ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 medium to large tomatoes, chopped finely or 1 cup tightly packed finely chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder or deghi mirch, add more for a spicy gravy
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 green chili, chopped finely
- 2 cups chopped mix vegetables - cauliflower, carrots, potatoes, french beans, capsicum
- ½ cup green peas (matar), fresh or frozen
- 1.5 cups water or add as required
- salt as per taste
- 2 tablespoons cream or malai or 3 tablespoons milk
- 8 to 10 paneer cubes, OPTIONAL
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves,
HOW TO MAKE mix veg recipe
making masala for mix veg recipe
- In a kadai or thick bottomed pan, heat oil.
- add cumin seeds and let them splutter.
- then add finely chopped onions and sauté onions till they turn light golden.
- then add the ginger-garlic paste. sauté till the raw aroma of both ginger and garlic goes away.
- then add the tomatoes. keep on stirring till the tomatoes become soft and pulpy.
- the process of frying the tomatoes takes a little longer. if you want to quicken the process, add a pinch of salt to the onion-tomato mixture. fry the tomatoes on a low flame as you don’t want the tomatoes to get burnt.
- when the mixture becomes smooth and you see oil releasing from the sides, then add turmeric powder, kashmiri red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala powder.
- mix spice powders very well with the onion-tomato mixture.
making mix veg curry
- now add the chopped veggies, green peas and green chilies.
- add water and salt as per taste. cover pan with a lid and let the veggies cook on a low to medium flame.
- once the veggies are half cooked, add the cream or malai or milk. stir well.
- cover again with a lid and simmer the veggies till they are done.
- don’t forget to check the vegetables occasionally at intervals.
- add more water if the water dries up and if the veggies are still to be cooked.
- once the veggies are cooked and the mix veg sabzi is done, then switch off the flame and add 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves. mix well. if using paneer, then add the paneer before you add the coriander leaves and simmer for a few seconds.
- you can also garnish mix veg gravy with fried paneer cubes. otherwise simply garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- serve mix veg hot with pooris, parathas, kulcha or chapatis.