Veg Pizza Recipe with step by step photos. The all time favorite, super delicious and best veg pizza recipe from scratch.
This is a tried and tested veg pizza recipe and if everything is followed correctly, you will be able to make great pizza with a choice of your toppings for your family and friends. This homemade veg pizza beats all the pizzas I had in Indian pizza chains in various Indian cities.
There was a time when I used to make pizzas at home with ready made pizza bread. But after making bread at home and finding out they are far far better than the outside ones, I make even the pizza base at home now.
This recipe of homemade veg pizza is a pizza recipe made from scratch. Except for the cheese, no ready-made sauces or pizza bread bases are used. This is a basic veg pizza. I have used onion and capsicum as the only veggies. You can use your own assorted veggies for the pizza.
For the flavorings of the sauce i have used dried oregano and basil. However, you can use fresh oregano and basil too. I have made many pizza sauces right from my teen years. But this was the best sauce I have made. It has become a personal favorite.
The pizza bread is made from maida (all-purpose flour). Wheat flour can be used too. but wheat flour will make the pizza bread base a little dense. I have adapted the recipe from the cookbook “The Bread Bible: 300 Favorite Recipes” by Beth Hensperger.
How to make veggie pizza recipe
For ease of understanding, I have divided the post into 3 main parts:
- Making the pizza bread
- Making the pizza sauce
- Assembling pizza
Lets start with step 1 – making the pizza base
1: dissolve the sugar in warm water and add dry active yeast to it.
2: stir the whole mixture and keep it aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
3: when the yeast is getting doubled up, take a cup of flour with salt in a bowl. Mix well. Add olive oil.
4: after 10 to 15 minutes the yeast will bubble and you will see a good frothy layer on top.
5: now add the frothy yeast mixture to the flour. With a whisk or wooden spoon stir the mixture.
6: add another cup of flour and keep on stirring.
7: the mixture will become sticky.
8: add the last cup of flour and continue to stir.
9: the dough will leave the sides of the bowl but still will be a bit sticky.
10: it is time now to knead the dough with the hand. knead the dough to a smooth dough. Dust with flour to prevent sticking. The dough will be soft and elastic. Apply some olive oil to the dough all around.
11: keep the dough in a deep large bowl and cover loosely with a kitchen napkin or towel for 1.5 to 2 hours.
12: after 2 hours the dough has beautifully risen and doubled up to what you see below.
13: I had planned to make the pizza the next day, so I wrapped the dough tightly in a cling film and kept in the fridge. If you plan to make the pizza right away then flatten the dough to a disk. Then start rolling the dough.
14: the next morning I removed the pizza dough from the fridge and if you compare the two pics, the dough was getting leavened even in the fridge.
15: I kept the cold pizza dough at room temperature for about 45 minutes before I started assembling and rolling pizza.
Making pizza sauce
1: chop the tomatoes directly or blanch them and then chop the tomatoes. I chose the second method of blanching, as then less cooking is involved when making the sauce. Instead of chopping you can also puree the tomatoes.
2: in a pan heat olive oil and add chopped garlic to it. Fry the garlic for a minute.
3: now add the chopped blanched tomatoes. Stir and let the tomatoes cook for 5 minutes more.
4: when the tomatoes are getting simmered, slice the onion, capsicum and olives.
5: instead of sauteing the veggies lightly I marinated them for 15 minutes with olive oil, basil and oregano.
6: the tomatoes are softened now. Add the herbs, salt, crushed black pepper.
7: mix well and cook for a few more minutes.
8. The pizza sauce is ready.
Making vegetable pizza
1: preheat the oven to 200 degrees C. Grease the baking pan with olive oil & then dust it with maize flour (cornmeal), semolina (rava or sooji) or flour.
2: take a large ball from the dough. I made three medium-sized pizzas from this dough. You can use the whole dough to make an extra-large pizza or even make two large pizzas.
3: flatten the dough into a disk. now on a floured surface with a rolling pin roll the dough ball into a large round or oval shape of about 1/4 inch thickness. Roll the dough from the center towards the outer edges. You may have to dust the surface with flour. the dough is extremely elastic. So be careful while rolling the dough.
4: place the pizza base in the baking pan. Be careful as the dough has so much elasticity, it just stretches more when you place it. Do this work of placing very gently. brush the surface with olive oil.
5: spread the tomato pizza sauce on the pizza.
6: top up with the veggies and olives.
7: top with some shredded mozzarella cheese or pizza cheese.
8: bake the veg pizza in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 200 degrees C till the base becomes golden brown and the cheese on top melts and gets browned.
9: The veg pizza is ready and out of the oven.
10: Serve the veg pizza immediately with tomato sauce or tomato ketchup and the herbs.
Few more pizza recipes
- Wheat pizza – made with whole wheat flour
- Margherita pizza – easy and delicious classic margherita pizza
- Pizza without oven – Pizza made on tawa or pan
- Thin crust pizza – Crisp, crunchy and light thin crust pizza
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later
for the bread base
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup warm water or add as required
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt or add as required
- some olive oil for brushing
- all purpose flour or cornmeal (makki ka atta) or semolina for sprinkling
for pizza sauce
- 4 to 5 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine, optional
- 2 teaspoon dried basil or 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- freshly crushed or ground black pepper, as required
- salt as required
toppings for 2 medium sized veg pizza
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 capsicum (bell pepper), sliced
- 1 tomato, chopped or sliced, optional
- 8 to 9 pitted green olives, sliced, optional
- 8 to 9 pitted black olives, sliced, optional
- grated mozarella cheese or pizza cheese, as required
- fresh or dried herbs, as required
making pizza dough
- Sprinkle sugar in warm water.
- Add yeast. Stir and let the mixture sit at room temperature for 10-15 mins till it becomes frothy,
- In a bowl add one cup flour, salt, olive oil and the frothy yeast mixture.
- Stir. Add another cup of flour. stir again. The mixture become sticky.
- Add the last cup of flour and continue to stir.
- Knead the dough into a smooth, springy ball. apply some olive oil all over the dough.
- Cover loosely and keep in a large bowl at room temperature for 1.5 to 2 hours.
- The dough will double up and nicely leaven.
making pizza sauce
- Blanch the tomatoes and the chop them.
- Heat oil. Fry the chopped garlic. add the tomatoes and wine. let them cook uncovered for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the herbs, salt and pepper. mix well. Cook further for 3 to 4 minutes.
assembling and making veg pizza
- Flatten the dough to a disk. on a floured surface roll the dough.
- Place the dough onto a greased and dusted pan.
- Brush some olive oil on the pizza base. spread the tomato sauce on the pizza.
- Top with the veggies. spread the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 200 degrees c till the base becomes golden brown and the cheese on top melts and gets browned.
- Serve veggie pizza hot.
Tips for making veg pizza recipe
- The pizza dough can also be made in a food processor or electric mixer.
- If the dough becomes sticky add some flour and vice versa. If the dough is not soft and a bit dry, then add some warm water.
- I even made a thin crust pizza with this dough and it was excellent.
- You can saute the veggies lightly in olive oil if you want.
- The leftover pizza sauce can be refrigerated.
- Leftover pizza dough can be refrigerated or freezed. If freezed, it stays well for a month.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.