This recipe of Veg kheema is a guest post for susmitha who blogs at Veganosauras. susmitha is also a jewellery designer by profession. Susmitha is vegan and what I have seen of her recipes are that they are innovative as well as healthy and nutritious.
Susmitha had asked me long time back to guest post for her. Not that I had forgotten but life become busy and I was not able to write the guest post. So finally I mailed susmitha that I will be writing the post. Since my blog focuses mainly on Indian food, I felt that the veg kheema recipe would be best suited for her vegan blog.
Kheema is a Hindi word which means to mince. kheema is one dish I have grown up seeing made at home and it was not veg kheema :-(. Even in the parsi restaurants in Mumbai, my folks would like the kheema based dishes, especially kheema pav – spiced minced meat and peas served with Indian buns/pav. My mom makes a fab kheema pav, but this recipe is not a vegetarian adaption of her recipe.
This is my own version of making veg kheema. Its nice & delicious way to include vegetables in your diet. Since the vegetables are minced or grated, the cooking time is also less. But the preparation time is a bit more as if you hand grate the vegetables, it does take time. If you have a food processor then using it will surely reduce time taken to grate or finely chop the veggies.
The kheema can be served with rotis, naan or even plain bread or Indian pav-buns. This can also be a side dish accompanied with dal-rice combo. This recipe is a good breakfast, brunch or tiffin option.
Here I have used cauliflower, carrots, french beans, green peas and button mushrooms to make the kheema. I am sure that even with other veggies, the kheema would taste great.
You can even add your choice of veggies while making the kheema. the dish is semi dry and goes well with chapatis, rotis and even breads or buns accompanied with a vegetable salad or vegetable raita.
If you are looking for similar recipes then do check:
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. If you'd like more delicious Indian vegetarian recipes delivered straight to your inbox, Sign Up for my email newsletter. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspiration.
- 7-8 cauliflower florets, grated or minced or chopped finely
- 7-8 french beans, chopped finely
- 7-8 mushrooms, chopped finely
- 1 medium size carrot, grated or minced or chopped
- ⅓ cup green peas, boiled
- 2 medium size tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger and 2-3 garlic - crushed finely in a mortar-pestle or made into a paste
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1.25 to 1.5 cups water
- salt as required
- Heat oil in a pan. Add whole garam masala spices - black cardamom & cinnamon.
- Add chopped onion. Fry till light brown. Add the ginger garlic paste.
- Then add tomatoes and all the spice powders. Fry the whole mixture till the oil separates.
- Add all the veggies except boiled green peas. Add water and salt.
- Cover and cook till all veggies are cooked well.
- The mixture should become dry and there should be no moisture.
- Now add the green peas and stir. Check the seasonings.
- Serve veg kheema hot garnished with coriander leaves with some rotis, phulkas, naan or bread.
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
Like this Recipe?
Pin it Now to Remember it Later