Sandwich chutney recipe with step by step photos – green chutney recipe for preparing Mumbai style sandwiches.
Posting a recipe for sandwich chutney which I make at times when I plan to make Veg sandwiches. I prepare the green chutney a day before and refrigerate. I make this chutney in small amounts and not large as it does not keep well for many days. Since the chutney is made from fresh coriander leaves, it stays good for 4 to 5 days in the fridge. After some time the freshness is not there. So make in small batches and refrigerate and use the chutney when required.
Apart from this chutney recipe, there are few more green chutney recipes posted on the blog which I make on different occasions:
- Sweet and tangy green chutney – since the chutney is slightly sweet amd tangy, it makes for a good spread on sandwiches while making for kids.
- Punjabi style green chutney – this tangy and strongly flavored chutney can be had as a dip or can be used as a spread. also goes well with pakoras, tikki and tandoori or grilled veggies/snacks.
- Green chutney for chaat recipes – a quick chutney that can be added to many chaat snacks like sev puri, ragda patties, bhel puri and samosa chole chaat.
I usually use coriander leaves. but when I have fresh mint leaves, I also add them in the chutney. i do not add lemon juice as I feel the taste of the chutney becomes slightly tangy for sandwiches, which we do not prefer. Though if you want you can add a few drops of lemon juice.
If you are looking for more Chutney recipes then do check
If you made this recipe, please be sure to rate it in the recipe card below. Sign Up for my email newsletter or you can follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Youtube, Pinterest or Twitter for more vegetarian inspirations.
sandwich chutney recipe
- 1 cup tightly packed coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala powder or add as required
- 1 to 2 green chilies (hari mirch)
- a few drops of lemon juice (optional)
- 1 or 2 teaspoon of water for grinding (optional)
- salt as required
- Firstly rinse 1 cup tightly packed coriander leaves very well in water. You can place them in a colander or strainer and also rinse.
- Take the coriander leaves, 1/2 tsp chaat masala powder and 2 green chilies in a chutney grinder jar. I usually add 3 green chilies as we prefer a bit spicy chutney in the sandwiches.
- Grind the chutney ingredients till smooth. No need to add water. But if you cannot grind, then add 1 or 2 teaspoon of water. I did not add water as there was enough moisture after rinsing the coriander leaves to help them grind to a smooth chutney.
- Remove the sandwich chutney in a bowl. Cover and keep the sandwich chutney aside if you are making sandwiches immediately or refrigerate.
- Avoid adding too much water while grinding chutney. If the chutney becomes thin, the flavors get diluted and also the bread slices become soggy after spreading the chutney on them.
- Green chilies can be added less or more as per your requirements.
Nutrition Info Approximate values
Like our videos? Then do follow and subscribe to us on youtube to get the latest Recipe Video updates.
All our content & photos are copyright protected. Please do not copy. As a blogger, if you you want to adapt this recipe or make a youtube video, then please write the recipe in your own words and give a clickable link back to the recipe on this url.
How to make green chutney for sandwich
1. Take 1 cup rinsed & tightly packed coriander leaves, ½ tsp chaat masala powder, 2 green chilies & salt as per taste in a chutney grinder jar. I usually add 3 green chilies as we prefer a bit spicy chutney in the sandwiches. To rinse coriander leaves, you can place them in a colander or strainer. Rinse them very well in running water.
2. Grind the chutney ingredients till smooth. No need to add water. But if you cannot grind, then add 1 or 2 teaspoons of water. I did not add water as there was enough moisture after rinsing the coriander leaves to help them grind to a smooth chutney.
3. Remove the chutney in a bowl.
4. Cover and keep the sandwich chutney aside, if you are making sandwiches immediately or refrigerate. You can also store the chutney in a small jar.